What to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccantlin

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am in the process of upgrading to a new tank and I am faced with a tough decision to make.
I want to make my new tank into a reef, but I can't imagine parting with my yellow belly dogfaced puffer.
He has not shown any types of aggression towards my purple reef lobster or my banded coral shrimp, but I fear if I stock the new tank with more inverts he might not be able to contain himself.
What are my options?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You do not want him with inverts. It`s only a matter of time that the lobster or shrimp will be gone. Do not think that he will never go after them. Definitely don't add any more.

you are upgrading for the puffer correct how big is the new tank
how big is the existing tank the puffers in now.
maybe start a reef in the smaller of the 2
and put the puffer in the other ,
so far you are lucky the puffer didn't snack on coral banded shrimp
I keep a purple lobster in my reef and a blue spinney lobster with my predators
my trigger leaves lobster alone but all other inverts are dinner I would think the same with the dog face , it isn't recommended but it has been done

He is in a 220g now and will be going into a 350g. Once in a while I see the puffer snacking on one of the banded shrimps claws, but it is right around when he molts so I'm not sure if it is just molt or if he is ripping off claws

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If I put a shrimp or crab in the tank with my porcupine puffer it doesn't even hit the bottom of the tank before it's gone. You have been lucky.

Sent from my XT1585 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom