what to do next with fowlr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ramz28

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
so i started my setup. I have a 125g tank i put in a thin layer of CC for looks will be adding some live sand this weekend. I have a like 15lbs of live rock ATM and the salinity of the water is perfect. I have to HOB emperor 400s and a fluval 405. The emperors are using Activated carbon and a a sponge. and the fluval has bio balls and the sponges. the tank is crystal clear so far. only been week. i will check nitrites/rates this weekend as well. I am thinkin of doing a sump but im not sure. I ddint buy any of the last filters as i had them previously. the sump seems like a such a great way to get it done but i dont have much space under my stand. what size container would i need fora sump? if i did a sum can i get rid of my other filters? thanks.

First Welcome to AA. I would think again about using CC. It's not good and will give you nitrate problems in the future. also your sand dwelling creatures will have a hard time in it. I would go with just Aragonite sand and also skip the livesand as more then likely it's not live after sitting on the lPS shelf for so long.
Have you started a cycle yet?
You would need about 100# total of LR for your tank. It's not set in gold but would greatly help your filtering and you would be able to remove your cannister filters.
As far as the sump, the bigger the better. So go as big as you have space for. An old 29g tank would be fine.IMO
Read over the stickys on this site to get an overall view of it.

If you could get more LR it will be much better. More LR = better biological filtration.

+1 on the CC. Everyone seems to like it and start out with it, but it only causes headaches as the tank matures. Aragonite would definitely be the way to go. Also, since you tank is just starting out, i wouldnt worry too much about your water parameters because they will be bouncing around as the tank cycles. The onyl things to look out for are the salinity which in your case, you can leave it anywhere from 1.022 to 1.028 since your tank will be cycling and the salinity has some time to set. Also, using a sump is a more efficient way of doing things. Not only does it add water to your main tank, but it could improve water quality greatly. It also gives you the option to remove man made things from the tank such as filters, skimmers.. etc.. This way your tank can have a more "natural" look to it. And yeah, 15lbs of live rock wont even come close to cutting it for a 125g tank. 100lbs should do well. Using that much will improve water quality, sustain more life and will provide great homes for your tank inhabitants. Good luck!

yea more LR is waiting on some more funding LOL. looking for some better spots. my LPS is charging $5/lb and i dont really like the few comon looken rocks hes got. so im checken some online places

Try either premiumaquatics.com , intmarinefish.com , or liveaquaria.com. Thos places have really great rock and for really good prices. intmarinefish even has free shipping.

marcorock.com for base rock, great stuff!
Take it from me, CC and sand starts to look bad after about 3-5 months, but that is my personal preference.
Also, the CC will sit on top of the sand as the sand settles.

Welcome to AA! :)

Good advice up there. For live rock, you can also check out www.marcorocks.com and your closest local reef club. I consistently see tanks being moved, broken down, changed, etc and the rock sells for $2-$3 per pound generally and is fully cured and from a fully setup system.

thanks for the site will definitly check them out. im going to check what i have for space underneath my tank for a sump. ive been researching sumps and designs and safty stuff so they dont flood. i have plenty of spare tanks to make into 1. just gotta build the overflow and get the tubes then all the media but thats about it.

i went to a vet this weekend and i saw their sw tank. they had a a bow tank with lots of LR and it had these weird bony looken worms on them. they were really tiny what r they? they said its normal

ive looked at a few of those recently theyre not feather dusters they really tiny like not even 1/4". look like maggots.

Back
Top Bottom