What to do, what to do...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hogie

Aquarium Advice Activist
Besides a QT tank, I have 2x 29gallon tanks available for use. I dont want a Reef type system (already have one starting up), but I was thinking of a FOWLR. Could/should I somehow plumb them together? I dont plan on having a sump (the stand I am going to use for them is 6x drawers on the bottom). This stand is 65" wide, so it holds both aquariums nicely, with a little room to spare between them (say, for 2x 1" or 2" bulkheads + joiners).

Any suggestions?

I guess you can drill 2 holes in each and connect them with bulkheads. You would need a powerhead or something pointing into the bulkheads, 1 in each direction, so the water from the 2 tanks would mix. I don't think they would circulate without something pushing the water from 1 into the other and back.

I have some powerheads I can use for this, I just dont know if that's something that I want to do or not... What would you guys suggest? I'd rather take care of 1 "larger" water system than 2 smaller ones for this.

Good idea/bad idea?

Also, would I be able to use Texas Holey Rock as a base rock for a FOWLR aquarium? It is a limestone rock, which dissolves very slowly. I want to try to setup something that doesn't look like every other SW aquarium out there.

I assume you are connecting for filtration purposes so yes it can be done as long as you have equal returns/tank and you keep both intakes clean along with proper installation of bulkheads and union-valves. You would have to be careful so not to jar the connecting lines between both tanks, which could be a huge mess if cracked. I literally hate Texas Holey Rock. It is not porous like liverock so filtration would either be within a sandbed or mechanical filter and THR is very dense/heavy in comparison nor does it look natural. What about creating a display from Marshall islands branch and flat rock, which wouldn't be the "norm" and at least beneficial liverock? :)

Isn't Marshall Islands really hard to get now? Tonga is hitting $10/lb at the LFS's that have it here (2 that I have seen in the last 45 days).

Ive already cherry picked the tonga from them for my bigger tank. Maybe I should just go and get some cheapo live rock and smash it with a hammer then epoxy it back together in weird shapes.. nobody would notice!

As for the 2 tanks plumbed together, I was thinking about that issue too. I'd rather have as much biological filtration as possible, but I can run 2 individual tanks if needed.

I am not going to plumb them together. I am just going to have one tank + QT there. I just got a deal on some LR and LS from a tank that crashed during Hurricane Ike. 60# of LR and 60# of LS will be here on Monday (I pick it up). Going to start cycling the FOWLR tank with that.

Just got home and got the new live rock curing in the tank.

It was more rock than I expected.

We re-wet it before I left the place I was getting it from, but by the time I got home from an hour drive, it wasn't really wet anymore. Still, I think it will be good once it cures.

Once it cures and your tank cycles it should be fine. Cant wait to see the progress.

Back
Top Bottom