what to do with live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wings4wheels

Aquarium Advice Regular
I broke down a tank for a friend who was thinking about setting it up in a couple weeks in a different location. I kept the live rock in a tub with a heater and powerhead. She changed her mind, and said she was going to freshwater. The tub went outside, and the pump and heater came out. A month later she is setting up the saltwater tank again, this time for real. What can I do with the rock?

Wings4wheels said:
I broke down a tank for a friend who was thinking about setting it up in a couple weeks in a different location. I kept the live rock in a tub with a heater and powerhead. She changed her mind, and said she was going to freshwater. The tub went outside, and the pump and heater came out. A month later she is setting up the saltwater tank again, this time for real. What can I do with the rock?

Use it! For real you can just add it. Its just dead live rock now but still good.

Wings4wheels said:
Will I need some "seed rock," or will the rock still be alive?

The rock is now dead. You can get a few smaller pieces of "live rock" if you want but honestly its not needed. Use the rock you have and save yourself money. The "dead"rock will become "live" again and growing all sorts of bacteria on it an you'll get to watch the rocks change all sorts of colors.

The upside is no pest hitchhikers. What you see is what you get! It's a good route to go IMO.

Your good to go.

Back
Top Bottom