what type of filter is best without a sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saltwaternewbie12

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 38 gallon tank set up and currently has 2 HOB filters. One is a aqueon50 and the other is a marineland bio wheel 30. I am using them now to clean some of the cloudyness out of the water since my hubby dumped in unrinsed argonite sand. :( I am not wanting a sump so I was wondering if i could just use a HOB skimmer and the live rock in the tank to filter? (i was told to do this by someone else). or do I need to use another type of filter? I was told the kinds I have would kill the fish by causing nitrates....The tank currently has 40 lbs of sand and 25 pounds of live rock..... anything else i need to know would also be helpful!

Honestly I have had a single emperor 400 on my 20 tall FOWLR for about 8 months. Pair that with a hob skimmer and you should be good. Just remember your turnover rate should be at least 5x per hour

i have a 400 in a 75 gal and it is always crystal clear,the 400is good for 80or 90 gal great filters

I use a bio 150 on the back of my tank, no skimmer, very simple setup. My tank has been running rock solid, my nitrates are about 15ppm and the tank is clear.

I'm cycling a 55g with a Penguin Bio-Wheel 350 and a Aquaeon hob filter myself. I'm also running a bubble wand for extra oxygen.

Today I bought some more lr with some little white worms, and I guess they are feather dusters or maybe bristle worms. Also on the rocks I have some baby purple or pink coraline and a small pink sponge.

Right now my tank is consuming 4ppm of ammonia in approximately 4 hours. My Nitrites are at 5.0 and Nitrates are at 20ppm.

I'm really dying from patience. I've been cycling since February 18th.

Can anyone advise as to my situation?

Back
Top Bottom