What would the process of moving of a FOWLR tank be?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corey

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm considering upgrading to a 46 gallon FOWLR tank from my 20 gallon FW tank over the summer, but seeing as I'm a college student, I'd have to move it to school for the fall and home in the spring (so twice a year). School is not far from an home (~ an hour), and I have adequate moving space/equipment. If I were to go for it, I may not even put fish into it until after I bring it up to school for fall semester, as the LFS near school is fantastic.
I'm wondering what steps you would take/how difficult it would be to move a 46 gallon FOWLR setup, and if it would be worth it for me to go for it. Also, if done correctly, the likelihood of losing fish/rock/inverts.
I'm not afraid of an entire day's work, I'm just wondering if there's anything I need to know that I'm not thinking of.
Thanks!

Well if your 46g tank isn't setup already and cycled, then you'd have to do that before making the move. Once it's cycled, then an hour move isn't going to hurt it. Simply put half the water in a clean trash can lined with a trash bag and be sure you have SW ready at the other end to put in the tank. Your fish will be fine for 3-4 hours (I moved my 55g from GA to FL, 8 hour ride, and all my fish survived with an airstone in 10g of water), so you can move your tank over and plop your fish back in once it's setup.

Now you would have to do the same for your LR, put them in a container and be sure the water you use is taken from the tank so the rock will be used to it. This is a great article on how someone upgraded their tank and what they did with the LR:

http://www.oregonreef.com/sub_upgrade.htm

Inverts will be tougher depending on which one's you have. They are move sensetive to changes in the water, so I would make sure your holding tank water is exactly like your tank water (PH, temp, etc.). I would be cautious moving inverts more than once a year, it seems to be a recipe for disaster.

All in all I think it can be done, just keep doing your homework on it and make sure you've got a falt plan in place incase anything happens during the move.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the replies - really doesn't sound that much harder than moving a FW tank.
I have no idea if I'd even have inverts, I just thought I might as a "clean up crew"? I need to do a LOT more research on SW tanks before this would happen. Would inverts not even be necessary for a FOWLR tank?

tcarola154 said:
just out of curiousity... what are you going to do over winter break?

I figured I'd use an automatic feeder, and visit them once a week to do a water change and feed them live/frozen food.

This is purely theoretical right now, I'm just wondering if its possible. Sounds like I would really benefit from making sure I kept hearty fish as well.

Back
Top Bottom