What's a guy to do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SerLunchbox

Aquarium Advice Addict
So i am left with a decision to turn to the light side and start on marine. THis is of course once my freshwater fish, plants, gravel and everything has been sold off.

So what am i to do. I will have limited cash but i think i am pretty setup.

I have the tank and the standand i have the light.

What i also have is the following:
2- AC 110 filters
1- Ehiem 2217 canister filter.

So ... here are my questions.

1) in a 50 gallon, will 35lbs of live rock be sufficient?
2) do i need a skimmer if i am only running a FOWLR system?
3) can i use any of my old filters instead of a skimmer?
4) if i can use the filters, which ones and with what media?

Thanks for any info

1) It might with the amount of mechanical filtration you've got going on, but I'd suggest about 65lbs. One thing you'll learn about Saltwater really quick is that taking the cheap way out usually ends up costing you more.

2) You'll get yes and no from alot of different people, but I suggest a skimmer.

3) A mechanical filter doesn't do the same thing as a protein skimmer.

4) I've heard canister filters aren't really cut out for marine aquariums for one reason or another.

1. The rule of thumb is 2 pounds of LR per gallon but depends on the density of the LR u get, u can get less. Aim for at least 1 pounds of LR per gallon for now then add some more if u feel like 50 pounds is not enuf.

2. IMO, u don't "need" a skimmer if u run enuf AC and other filtration media, and perform frequent WC's. If u have a skimmer tho, it would be best.

A mechanical filter doesn't do the same thing as a protein skimmer.
I agree

4. U can use ur canister filters to enhance ur filtration system if u want to. The better filtration the bigger bioload ur tank can sustain. About the media, u can take out all the media that usually come with the canister filter and put in some LR rubbles and/or AC and/or some kind of sponge media (PO4 sponge for example). HTH

O yea, xkenneth

One thing you'll learn about Saltwater really quick is that taking the cheap way out usually ends up costing you more.

So true XD

1) in a 50 gallon, will 35lbs of live rock be sufficient?

I started w/about 25Lbs and now have about 60-70Lbs. You can add more, when funds permit. I would think you will be ok for thetime being. Just don't add too many fish too fast, or the good bacteria won't bee able to keep up with the bio load.

2) do i need a skimmer if i am only running a FOWLR system?

I don't have one. Xkenneth is right, you will get yes and no from many different people. If you are counting your $s, I wouldn't worry about the skimmer.

I have the fluvial 304 canister and love it. I have my tank in the living room and didn't want an HOB filter, because I wanted to be able to see in the tank from all directions, and two cats.

Not sure how FW cycle works, but please don't cycle your tank w/fish.

Double the LR and get a good quality skimmer. That`s all I have in my tank.

Let me change that I also have a refugium

Back
Top Bottom