What's growing on your live rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jenny_RS

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got some new live rock and noticed there are some really strange things growing on it. what has grown or is growing on your live rock?

Sponges, feather dusters. Here is a sponge that was on my LR. Its that yellow thing in the back

img_688673_0_005a4821e9f0ba271329e99409223a92.jpg

lol thats neat! i just found a hairy worm, looks like a centipede or something... all brown, doesn't seem to like the light... any ideas what it is?

I have a sponge,mushroom, lots of little anemone type things and a creature that I cant see, but shoots out a lot of webs and retreives and eats sand???????

i have some white moldy looking stuff that ive been told is from the stuff on my LR dying off....its cylcing. its brown right now, so i guess that doesnt really count as something growing, but i cant wait for stuff to start!

Your worm is a bristleworm, or polychaete worm. Most are harmless. Check out the Identification forum for some ideas on what might be growing on your rocks!

I was just wondering.... what would i be able to grow on my rock? i saw at my lfs they had a live rock that already had a mushroom on it... i'd really like to see more stuff grow on my rock, instead of buying a coral or two in the future...

i have all kinds of stuff. i have featherdusters (very small), keyhole limpets that seem to be growing, and now i seem to have an ifestation of fireworms. those little F$@*ers, every water change i pull out at least 5 of them. and i have some sort of snail that i rarely see that i still can't figure out what he is.

yea, i can see that i have a shell from a snail... but no snail. and the worm that was there before is nowhere to be seen.... oh well, i'm sure he is around somewhere on that rock. I'm hoping some mushrooms will maybe grow on my rock. *sigh* only time will tell...

If you haven't seen the mushroom yet, it won't be on there later. :)

You can buy mushrooms for kinda cheap at your LFS and let them grow. that and zoo polyps will spread onto liverock quickly. They might be your best bet if you want some color on your rock.

Thanks, that will help me out. i do want to add some colour, and i'd like to have something easy to care for and inexpensive. the live rock that i have has lots and i mean lots of holes and crevices so is that a good thing?

well my hood will only take small lamps, and right now i have an 11 watt flourescent. i was thinking of upgrading to an incandescent mini power compact 50/50 10 watts. or maybe 15 if i can find a 15 watt power compact...

Hmm. Without upgraded lighting, I would hold off on the addition of corals. They need a good strong light to grow. Try and get atleast 2 wpg of PC lighting, if you wish to add corals.

Okay so i will go ahead and upgrade my lighting to 20-30 watts/g.

Back
Top Bottom