Whats the maximum amount of small fish on a 20 g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What kind of fish?

With a given water change schedule the max load is whatever allows you to keep the nitrate concentration under 20ppm before a water change.

Fishguy2727 said:
What kind of fish?

With a given water change schedule the max load is whatever allows you to keep the nitrate concentration under 20ppm before a water change.

At the moment I have a pair of clowns a valentini puffer a cleaner wrass 2hermits and a sand sifting star my nitrate and ammonia reads nil at the moment am hoping to get some coral and a few bits hopefully a little urchin and was wondering what my limit fish wise was! I have a log of live rock does this mean less fish!?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

IMO there is no fish per inch rule. It basically comes down to the fish and it`s bioload.

What the tank bio load?? So basically if you keep a healthy tank you can have as many fish as long as it remains balanced?? Ie healthy parameters

that valentini puffer is a messy eater and may cause you problems down the road im hoping hes a baby right now if hes only in a 20 gallon tank

Saltwater fish are very territorial and you can't put to many fish in a 20g no matter what the nitrate level or the size of the fish or bioload. They may get along as babies but as soon as they mature they will start killing each other off.

Just so you have an idea of tank and size of fish I understand what you gigs are saying about territories etc so you think thats it as far as fish go!!....they seem to be living in harmony at the moment!?!? Please let me know what you think...ps I am wanting another larger marine set up in the not too distant future my valentini will be the first inhabitant

Attachments

• image-365742764.jpg
    image-365742764.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 214
  • image-1682499297.jpg
    image-1682499297.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 174
  • image-171087637.jpg
    image-171087637.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 148
I see a starfish and what is that blue fish I see? A Damsel?

You see 2 clowns a damsel a cleaner wrass(I'm having probs with) a valentini puffer and sand sifter

That seems like alot of fish. LOL. I have 3 in my 29 gallon tank and was looking for a fourth. that puffer is awesome btw. How big does it grow? I only have a pair of black oscellaris and a blenny.

Puffer will grow a fair bit I think but is considered to be one of the smaller in comparison to other puffers! I am planning on moving him on to another tank( bigger)

Is it like a tang that need alot of room for swimming? I will be upgrading to 4 foot 55g soon is why I'm asking. i figure I'll be getting some new fish when I gt the bigger tank. :)

carey said:
Is it like a tang that need alot of room for swimming? I will be upgrading to 4 foot 55g soon is why I'm asking. i figure I'll be getting some new fish when I gt the bigger tank. :)

No there reasonably docile!! Although he spits water at me when he wants feeding

LOL Thats funny. My clownfish give me little kisses when I put my hands in the water. hehe I love these critters

you didnt mention the damsel. Your maxed... especially in a tall tank

On he's and damsel that's it for fishes then ! What about adding urchins etc

On a new tank I don't see that starfish or that cleaner making it. Damsels get pretty mean as they age. Can you tell me what kind of Damsel it is?

The star fish thriving at the mo, the cleaner wras is starting to loose it ( erratic behaviour) the dsmsel is yellow fin I think I think he's content

Back
Top Bottom