whats wrong with my clown?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tony1021

Aquarium Advice Activist
bought a new clownfish this weekend, it won't eat any food and at night time it stays close to the sand wiggling around and a constant full body twist/twitch...is this normal?

my other fish are: 2 gobies and 1 chromi and they're all normal

the clown was the only fish added to my tank this weekend and i've fed the fish twice...once on friday and once today and it didn't eat either time

my ph levels were a little high when i got my water tested but the lfs said pwc should fix it, which i did...

tank is about 5 weeks old and its a 55 gallon tank

Maybe you might want to soak the food in garlic. Some say that it stimulates feeding. Also what are you feeding them?

I use GarlicGuard with my food and my clowns go nuts for it. Also my clowns seem to have taken to swimming vertically on each side of my overflow during nighttime hours. They also swim sideways near the sand sometime. Just make sure they are not scratching, I have read sometimes without an anemone to host they so swim near the sand or LR. As far as the twitch my one clown started twitching about 2 weeks ago, seemed to be either the clown exhibiting dominance or getting ready to mate.

im feeding "Nutrafin Max" marine complete food for all marine fish...slow sinking morsels

maybe i should invest in an anemone?

i will also look into purchasing a bottle of garlic guard as well

another question i had is ppl from the lfs tell me to feed once every other day but the directions on the bottle of food says to feed fish as much as they can eat in 3 minutes and to feed 2 or 3 times a day...

looking at the clown now and its constantly opening and closing its mouth and moving fins like crazy very close to lr and sand :( really bothers me!

Ok where to start? 1) There is no guarantee that the clownfish will host with the anenome. People often get one thinking that the clown will run to the anenome with open arms. It doesnt happen all the time. Mine totally ignored my anenome and hosted different corals. Just didnt want you to be disappointed if that should happen. 2) I would not feed that many times a day. You`ll have algea problems from excessive nutrients. Their job is to get you to feed as much as you can so you`ll come back for more ande more often. I feed mine every other day for 11 yrs now. Some of my fish are 10-11 yrs old and rarely had any algea issues. IMO everyother day is best. Unless you have some tangs and then you can feed them on the off days some dried seaweed. 3) Maybe feed some mysis shrimp or vitamin fortified brine to see if they`ll eat that.

i would try some mysis or brine shrimp...i rarely feed my fish flakes...usually just a mixture of the shrimp and sometimes some blood worms and cyclop eeze soaked in the garlic...should i be feeding them more flakes? or is the shrimp enough for their nutrition

I always feed a variety. I feed flake and "vitamin fortified" brine, mysis shrimp and emerald entree. Variety is always a good thing.

will get some brine shrimp on my next trip to the lfs...

might seem like a stupid question but again im new to this...i've seen other people buy brine shrimp and its quite a bit of food, are you suppose to dump all the shrimp in the water and let them live in the tank or am i suppose to have a different tank for the shrimp?

Your tank is very young. I would not get an anemone at this time. I believe your clown is swimming normal.....for a clown that is ;)
The first time I saw my clowns bobbing in place at night was a real site for me.

No You want to get frozen brine and break off a piece and let it melt in a cup and then feed it to the tank. Make sure it says "vitamin fortified."

will get some brine shrimp on my next trip to the lfs...

might seem like a stupid question but again im new to this...i've seen other people buy brine shrimp and its quite a bit of food, are you suppose to dump all the shrimp in the water and let them live in the tank or am i suppose to have a different tank for the shrimp?
What you are talking about are the brine shrimp eggs used for hatching live brine . Mike is correct, get the frozen brine shrimp.

great...thanks for all the help guys

also, one more thing i've noticed now is that my clown has some sort of slime growing on it, is this also normal?

did a search on google and it seems to be a case of Brooklynellosis:(

i will have to set up a quarantine tank...i will be searching here for details on a quarantine tank as im not to sure what it is but any quick posts will be appreciated, thanks!

i know i should set up the qt asap but unfortunately will have to wait about another 2 weeks to buy the set up...i was thinking if a simple little cube that could be hung off my tank would be ok in the meantime as I don't want it to infect all of my stock...

the cube im referring to is something similar to what they have at the lfs when you buy fish

I also feed my clowns a variety of food. I mix it up between freeze dried brine shrimp, frozen brine shrimp, a frozen marine mix and finally marine pellets.

lol...didn't really use a bad word there...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom