Whats wrong with my lion?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adrenalize

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So my lion fish has been a strange pale color for the last few days. He's been eating a little less but idk what the problem could be, nitrate level is around .25 so I'll have to do a few water changes this week. Any other suggestions? Heres a picture of him I know it's a little hard to tell but he is very pale compared to usual

Attachments

• image-1705119194.jpg
    image-1705119194.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 198
I know that inverts contain a chemical in their shell that helps to brighten fishes colors. Have you been feeding him feeder goldfish? This could be a possible explanation.

Goldfish are not a good staple, but lions really dislike nitrites. I'd be willing to bet he would be better if you get these down to 0ppm.

No he was on live ghost shrimp then I got him onto frozen krill I've never fed him anything else. Thank you for the replies I plan I'll do a very large water chance tomorrow to drop the levels as much as possible

Not sure the problem, any other signs such as lesions or swelling (abdomen, peduncle)? Nitrites or nitrates shouldn't be an issue. Future ref. keep a variety of foods such as marine fish, shrimp, etc. How long you've had it?

Last edited:
I had him for about two months. He was eating live ghost shrimp at first an on occasion. But mostly krill. I got home from work and he was dead :/

So yeah I believe the problem was caused from a jaw fish I purchased a few days ago because my lemonpeel angel died after I got him after being in perfect health. Then the lion got sick and kicked the bucket, and now the jawfish himself is dead. Is there anyway I can remove this from my tank? Is it just a matter of time? All my snails and hermits are still fine

What is causing you to think the jawfish is at fault? Besdies fighting I'm not sure how the jawfish is at fault? Even if fighting took place, the lion and angel larger and more aggresive than the jawfish.

Also, with a reading of .25ppm nitrates, your water parameters seem fine. Water quality isn't the issue.

AquaRick said:
What is causing you to think the jawfish is at fault? Besdies fighting I'm not sure how the jawfish is at fault? Even if fighting took place, the lion and angel larger and more aggresive than the jawfish.

Also, with a reading of .25ppm nitrates, your water parameters seem fine. Water quality isn't the issue.

I kind of disagree with the .25ppm. Everything I've read says that they are horrible with any trates in the water. Even minute amounts can hurt these guys.

With that said, I do not believe that was the cause of death, neither do I believe it is aggression. I'd be willing to bet there is some sort of contaminate in the water. Maybe some sort of oil as it floats and would hurt the fish, but may take longer to get to the inverts.

I kind of disagree with the .25ppm. Everything I've read says that they are horrible with any trates in the water. Even minute amounts can hurt these guys.

With that said, I do not believe that was the cause of death, neither do I believe it is aggression. I'd be willing to bet there is some sort of contaminate in the water. Maybe some sort of oil as it floats and would hurt the fish, but may take longer to get to the inverts.

If this was ammonia or nitrite i'd agree with you. Nitrates below 5ppm is pretty good is pretty decent even in reef tanks.

If there is a contaminant in the water, inverts are usually the first to go. They are much more intolerant of chemicals and poor water parameters.

Oh right well what I meant was i think there was something in the water that I got the jawfish in. He was tanked with a sick fish but the other 5 or six in there were all fine so I hoped it wasn't contagious. The lfs I went to tho has poor customer support and non educated employees so any questions I had for them were answered by guesses. I think the water was contaminated because my angel and lion were both in wonderful health and had strong coloring. And after about an hour of getting the jawfish in my tank my angel began swimming around strangely in the corner, two days later she's dead and the lion was right behind her to go

In the past and before there was "cruelty free cycling," lionfish were used to cycle tanks along with damsels and they survived just fine. Not to say I believe in this practice, but they are relatively hardy animals that can readily survive in over 100ppm nitrate. The only major concern in sw is NH3 as that can do extended damage to their gills. In saying that, I'd feel comfortable keeping any lionfish under 40ppm so I don't think water parameters are the cause. As is often the case, most diseases are introduced and that is likely the cause here. Most diseases will go unnoticed until its too late (observed by naked eye) and most can kill in under 24hrs. if not treated prior to.

How long would be a safe time to wait before introducing a new fish?

IMO the next fish you introduce to your tank u should qt it. And medicate it just incase their is something that the naked eye doesn't see.
So that it's not introduced to the main display tank. and introduced to your other fish.

Back
Top Bottom