Whats wrong with this theory??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdrake

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been battling a hair algae problem for weeks now. I have tried scraping, vacuuming and blacking out the tank. Nothing seems to keep the algae gone. I cannot find anything wrong with the water parameters, although I am sure there is a problem somewhere.

My plan now is to transfer all my fish (2 small perc. clowns, small niger trigger, medium pink-tailed trigger, and a med. powder blue in a 90 gal.) to a "quarantine tank" and completely black out the main tank for about a week. Then do a 50% WC and return the fish to the main tank. This should cut off all fuel for the algae.

Does anyone see anything wrong with this theory? Will this be enough time to kill all the algae in the tank? Will it have any adverse affect on the live rock? Would you cut the pumps off?

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

BTW, powder blue and pink-tailed have only been in tank for about 3 weeks. Algae problem for 8-10 weeks.

have you checked your phosphates? also what type of water do you use to top off with?

I use RO water and had a lawnmower, he lasted about 2 weeks and did not eat any algae that I could tell.

Checked and cannot detect any phosphates. I even tried a phosphate sponge, but same results.

Why not just cut lights on for a couple hours a day and see if you see a difference. I would try that before stressing the fish with a move.

How about a seahare, have you tried them? they are algae eating machines.. I don't support the buying of critters to control algae issues until you exhaust other alternatives.. My friends have used these and they eat it fast...
AZNO3 is another way to rid a tank of HA.. Again I make sure you covered all bases with testing waters...

no need to move the fish. you can do a blackout for a week without causing them harm. they might be a little confused, but it'll be less stressful than going from a large 90 to a small QT tank that likely isn't cycled yet (if you keep a cycled QT on hand, give yourself a gold star for being a better fish keeper than most)

If this is a FOWLR tank, I would also leave the fish in, leave the lights out during the day and just turn them on at night for a few hours. Even after the algae is gone you can run your lighting schedule this way in a FO tank to help control some of that algae.

My 300 FOWLR tank is 4 - 11 in the winter and runs 5 - 11 right now as we progress into summer the schedule will change to 7-11, unless I have company.....lol

Kaye

Thanks for the replys. If you have not dealt with a hair algae problem you have no idea how frustrating it is. You clean the tank and it looks wonderful only to have it explode with algae within a few days.
I will try adjusting my lighting schedule as most have suggested. If anyone knows where to get a sea hare around Myrtle Beach SC, let me know.

Back
Top Bottom