What's your Favorite Clownfish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slovinator

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 75 Gallon well established aquarium. Looking add some new friends in the take for my Yellow tang and Cardinalfish. I have had oscillaris in the past and can't decided if I want them again or if I should try a new type of clownfish.

Any Suggestions or Favorites?

I guess I should mention... not planning on doing the anemone thing.

I like ocerallis and maroon clowns, they are really cool :)!

Maroons are my favorite also

img_710201_0_51b3127978e2776aa2f3dd3f09d8e3a9.jpg

I've had my eye on maroon... now.. i know they can be mean. Can I put two in? I read somewhere that you can if they are tank raised. can anybody elaborate on that idea?

You can put them in if they are a mated pair. Make sure if you go to the lfs that they are a mated pair and not just two they threw together. One way you`ll be able to tell is that one will be alot bigger than the other.

I wanted a pair of maroons until I read that they were "aggressive" towards each other and other tank mates. That really stopped me because I have all small "peaceful" fish in my tank. Another thing to note is that maroons grow much larger than Percs & Ocells. I rather stay with the smaller, peaceful fish in my tank, which isn't to large.

Just picked up a couple of Ocells and they are doing fine in my QT along with a tiny Six Line Wrasse.

slovinator said:
I've had my eye on maroon... now.. i know they can be mean. Can I put two in? I read somewhere that you can if they are tank raised. can anybody elaborate on that idea?

Yes, but as stated either buy a pair (can be costly) or start with a couple of juvenials. If you get lucky they may pair off. I was lucky and picked two fish from LFS that just seem to be displaying pairing signs and was lucky as 2.5 years later they are an established pair. Do not try this with anything but juvenials (less than 2 inches).

They can get larger 5-6 inches or more, but do not grow that fast. My female is only about 4" now.

As for aggression they are territorial, but mine do not really bother other tankmates other than normal defending their corner.

It really depends on what other fish you plan on adding. Actually all my other fish have been added after my maroons just because my maroons have been my survivors. Some would say they should be one of the last fish added. This looks like where you are at now and I do not see any issues with the inhabitants you have listed in your profile.

I did notice you hope to get an Emperor Angel. I would say your tank is a bit small and well stocked for this especially if you do get a pair of clowns.

A 100g or larger is recomended for an Emperor:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=411

There are many dwarf angels that might be more suitable for your setup.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=16

I would not see an issue adding an angel after the clowns.

Oops, just noticed you listed false percs on your stocking list (maybe no longer?). If you do have these then I would not recomend maroons or any others clowns as it is generally not a good idea to mix species especially with maroons.

HTH,

I dont have a pair but I do own a single gold stripe maroon. The only fish that he even messes with is my tomato clown. They get in spats every once in a while. Been like this for nine years now. Nothing drastic.

Charlie I wanted a pair of maroons until I read that they were "aggressive" towards each other and other tank mates.
I had on with 5 damsels, and no one bothered anyone. I even had a blue devil. I think it depends on your other fish/tank size and water parameters.

Maroon's are my fav. Although they are aggresive to co-specifics!

Afish, for us simple minded people why don`t you throw us a name we can recognize instead of the scientific name.

Lord Howe's Ocellaris. This Australian native starts life looking like a perc. (orange and white) but matures into what looks like a baby Orca (black and white). If you buy them in their juvenile stage (under 1.5 to 2 inches), you can get them much cheaper (~$25/each). Once they start to turn colors, I have only seen them for ~$55/each.

I have had them in with bangai cardinals, six-line wrasse, yellow tang, hippo tang, a variety of shrimp and other inverts. They have not harrassed anyone - quite docile.

Back
Top Bottom