Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-29-2006, 10:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

When to add live rock

I was wondering when I can add LR. I just starting cycling my tank with a shrimp and wasnt sure if i should add LR now or wait a week.

Ive heard its good to cycle your tank with the LR but I wasnt sure if the ammonia and nitrite spikes would kill of the LR.

Also, how many hrs a day should I have my light on my tank?

Old 08-29-2006, 10:45 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

If the rock is uncured, it would definitely be better to add it now.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 10:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

It is going it be already cured from the LFS, possibly petco....
Old 08-30-2006, 08:29 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Maybe cured but most likely not much life on it. I'd add it now, but I have no idea what Petco has. If it is full of life, you might wanna wait - or do water changes often which would extend the cycle time. Can you get ahold of any dry base rock? it'd be great and cheap to use that now too.

Lighting during cycling isn't that important at all, but I like 10 hrs on daily.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Old 08-30-2006, 01:41 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I agree, add it now

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 11:26 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I like to cycle with just a sandbed and Dry Base Rock using the raw shrimp. Then I add the Live Rock....and sometimes I have a small cycle...sometimes no cycle at all...depending on the LR die-off. This way I do not subject any life on the LR to really high ammonia or nitrite levels...and preserve the most life. I get Florida Aquacultured rock which is teaming with life...and I hate to damage any of it during a cycle.

That is my consciencent method....but I do not know many people that do this.

Steve

40 Gallon Breeder Salt Water: 4 inch DSB (2/3 Agaramax & 1/3 Sea Flor), Bak Pak 2R Skimmer w/ BBX, 2 x JBJ PHs, Coralife Lunar Aqualight (2x96w), 30lb Base Rock and 40lbs of Live Rock.
Inhabitants: Purple Firefish, Pygmy Angel, Lawmower Blenny, 2 Cleaner Shrimp, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, Pistol Shrimp(HH), 1 Emerald Crabs, 3 Porcelin Crabs(HH), varying amounts and varieties of hermit and snails.

3 Gallon Eclipse:
1 Goldfish (won free at a fair...cost $50 in equipment)
WhiteCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 11:50 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Okay, i think im gonna add LR slowly through the cycle, just to see how things work out. Heres what I got so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pict0245_101.jpg (57.5 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg pict0235_860.jpg (90.6 KB, 115 views)
Old 08-31-2006, 08:32 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
gonna add LR slowly through the cycle,
It may a a longer, drawn out cycle. The ammonia goes up, starts to come down, then maybe go up again with more rocock. I'd do all of it now.

Or like Whitecloud suggests. That does sound good for the life laden, cured LR. Besides, base to start is cheaper anyway. Also, you can work the dry, base rock and shape it, build swim thrus, arches, amd things like that with putty. Don't putty all of it, just some key structures. Easy to do with dry base out of the water.

Also, as you add rock, look for more porous stuff. Even for base. Not as heavy, same sized, but holey. That's the good stuff IMO. It's not the weight that counts, but the surface size with those nice nooks and crannies.

Old 08-31-2006, 12:10 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had not even thought of the puttying idea!! What kind of Putty do you recommend that is aquarium safe??

Thanks

40 Gallon Breeder Salt Water: 4 inch DSB (2/3 Agaramax & 1/3 Sea Flor), Bak Pak 2R Skimmer w/ BBX, 2 x JBJ PHs, Coralife Lunar Aqualight (2x96w), 30lb Base Rock and 40lbs of Live Rock.
Inhabitants: Purple Firefish, Pygmy Angel, Lawmower Blenny, 2 Cleaner Shrimp, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, Pistol Shrimp(HH), 1 Emerald Crabs, 3 Porcelin Crabs(HH), varying amounts and varieties of hermit and snails.

3 Gallon Eclipse:
1 Goldfish (won free at a fair...cost $50 in equipment)
WhiteCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 12:15 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

http://www.liverocknreef.com/shop/in...28&prevstart=0

Like this kinda stuff. Any LFS should carry it. Made just for putting rocks like these together. And no worry, it'll easily come apart when/if you decide to re-landscape. Don't use glue IMO.

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com