When to do first partial water change?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When the water evaporates, the salt is left behind. Therefore, adding more salt ups the salinity.

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

Oh, that is very clever. I would've never thought of that. Thank you. :)

No problem. I try to help as much as I can, but that isn't much; I'm a freshie girl.

I got my refractometer from ebay for $30 one of my prized possessions. LOL

Wre you nitrites higher before? cause your waiting for them to spike then the trates will follow. Are you doing fish only or reef I forgot hehe. SAlinity on reef is a tad higher if ur a reefie.

I keep a bucket of premixed salt water at the ready as well. You never know when youll need it.

i got mine today my hydrometer said my salinity was .028 the refractometer says .025 very accurate glad i purchased it

Whew, just had a scare. I did the ammonia #1 and #2 bottles backwards and my reading was .5. So then I tested again the right way and it said 0. So then I tested again to see which one was right and it was 0 again.

My nitrites are 0. My nitrates are at 10. Is this an acceptable level?

Generally you shouldn't worry until your nitrAtes hit above forty. Ten is perfect.

You're coming along! Sure you didnt mix up the nitrate bottles too? ROFL j/k lol

Thank you.

LOL, I'm sure!
I only noticed though because the ammonia test got cloudy after the first bottle.

I was totally unprepared on what to do if my ammonia was .5. I was thinking "crap! umm water change?.. i don't have any prepared"

XxVooDooxX said:
Nice man! Coming along just fine! Glad to hear, and yes 10 nitrate is very acceptable. Zero is perfect ;) but 10 is just fine!

If a tank has zero then it means the tank normally isn't cycled. Ten is perfect, I stand by my opinion! :D

both of your answers are acceptable to me ;)
and thank you both!

as long as i'm not in the ~omg~ range

Lol. No one wants to be in that OMG zone, I would freak out! It's just the I HAVE TO WIN gene in me. I blame my dad. He always has to be right. Lol.

Finally got my refractometer in the mail today
oh my goodness is it a refresher after using that stupid floating hydrometer

Cool. i love mine. I keep it in the box all nice and safe. :) i feel so hi tech when i use it. lol

yah i feel high tech too :D
hahaha

tried out my water changer today too, it doesn't fit my sink :(
have to make a trip out to lowes

but i was able to fill up my bin just using the hose.. so it was a little bit of a help

scottayy said:
Finally got my refractometer in the mail today
oh my goodness is it a refresher after using that stupid floating hydrometer

Yea my hydrometer was way off

Back
Top Bottom