Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-27-2011, 08:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

When to do first partial water change?

My tank is cycling right now and I just tested the nitrites and they are showing their first signs of dropping (was really high, now about 1.0 ppm). This means that the nitrogen cycle is almost complete, right?

Once the nitrites drop and the nitrates are in normal range, should I proceed to add fish or do a partial water change first? I read somewhere that this should be done after cycling before adding livestock.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

After your nitrites drop you can do the pwc to get the nitrates down. By the time your nitrites drop you should have a nice hi level of trates.
After that pwc you can add fish. I do wait a few extra days with testing to make sure its all good but its up to you.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Awesome, this is exciting!! I'm so impatient lol but learning to be patient.

I need to plan a maitenance schedule. Since a 5 gallon bucket is so handy, I was thinking I could do a 5 gallon PWC (my tank is 55g but probably only 50 gallons in the tank). This would be a 10% PWC. What is best. Weekly? Bi-Weekly?
Old 03-27-2011, 08:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I do my cichlid tank every week. I also would recomend a python water changer. hooks right up to your sink and drains and fills at the flip of a switch. You will be doing at least 10 gallons a week so it's well worth the $30 that it costs.

just be patient a little longer..... I know its hard. lol
Do you know what your gonna stock?
Old 03-27-2011, 08:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks, I will look that up!
So you recommend 10 gallons weekly?

I'm planning on emulating a fish tank I saw at the doctor's office. A yellow tang, blue tang, clownfish, and chromes. I may wing it a little bit if I see something I like and is compatible.

A couple snails too!
Old 03-27-2011, 08:41 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yep 10 gallons is about 20% so that sounds good.

I hate to be the bringer of bad news but a 55 is too small for tangs. :-( i'm really bummed out about it too, just bought a new 55g SW setup today adn I wish i could get tangs too.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:44 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Really? The one I saw was in what looked like a 29g bio-cube tank. I guess what's done isn't always right, huh?

I guess I will have to research some new livestock then. I don't want any unhappy or unhealthy fish!

I also have a bunch of questions about how to do the PWC.. but fear I am stinking up the forum with my newbieness lol.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:46 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

It's your thread ask away.

Yeah def research try liveaquaria.com. It shows all the information you need to start with.

You arent going corals or anything are ya?
Old 03-27-2011, 08:53 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

No.. no corals. It seems like a lot more to digest and I am very new to this. I would like to soak up more information before I try anything else.

Thanks for the link.

For the PWC, I was thinking I'd fill up a container with tap water, add the Prime (takes chlorine and things out), mix in the salt to match the tank water SG, and let it sit for about a day to completely mix. Then use the python water changer you mentioned above to siphon out some water and add the new in.

Anything wrong there?

Should I get an extra powerhead and heater for the mixing container?
Old 03-27-2011, 08:55 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

man my heart was really set on the yellow and blue tangs so pretty

Tags
change, partial water change, water change

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com