Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-05-2014, 08:27 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
And, they aren't even crabs. More closely related to spiders actually.

Old 10-05-2014, 11:29 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

IMO the store that is selling such a thing for home aquariums should really be educated enough to let the buyer know these things. I've seen crabs for sale, not sure what kind. I only know what I just read and assuming this is accurate I feel bad for the OP who probably was not aware of any of this. Hope you find it and more so can bring it back to the store. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Amy
amyb_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 04:08 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well I did look up the animal and they like to eat worms in the sand bed which I have too many of and absolutely hate so on my end not knowing that they often die in the aquarium did a good and bad thing in this case good for me that he's eating the worms I absolutely hate and bad for him cuz once they're all gone he's gonna die I did find him though and he seemed to be doing well but then he buried himself again I have about a 4-5 inch sand bed and he's completely covered

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice
Old 10-06-2014, 08:30 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok, I'm going to sound really dumb but are you saying that aquariums with sand substrate have worms? If that's correct PLEASE educate me a little. That really skeeves me out.

Amy
Old 10-06-2014, 08:36 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have these stupid worms in my tank that have like 3-5 arms that come out they're filter feeders completely harmless but I don't like them

Old 10-06-2014, 08:40 PM   #16
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by POLARBEAR0871 View Post
I have these stupid worms in my tank that have like 3-5 arms that come out they're filter feeders completely harmless but I don't like them

Those are brittle stars, quite different from worms that can live in our systems.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:48 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyb_70 View Post
Ok, I'm going to sound really dumb but are you saying that aquariums with sand substrate have worms? If that's correct PLEASE educate me a little. That really skeeves me out.

Most aquariums acquire some kind of bugs.. sand or gravel. but these are normally the ones that people hate in reef tanks.

And they are like little porcupines.. Their spines come out stabbing you when you touch them.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:08 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
Most aquariums acquire some kind of bugs.. sand or gravel. but these are normally the ones that people hate in reef tanks.

And they are like little porcupines.. Their spines come out stabbing you when you touch them.

EWWWW!!! I thank you very much for taking the time to explain what was being said. I must say that took away any interest I had in a saltwater tank. I don't get how the worms or other things. wk

Amy
Old 10-06-2014, 10:29 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyb_70 View Post
EWWWW!!! I thank you very much for taking the time to explain what was being said. I must say that took away any interest I had in a saltwater tank. I don't get how the worms or other things. wk

haha, like it or not fresh water tanks have tons of gross worms in it as well. The bristle worms like I linked are a good thing though. They are scavengers and help keep your tank clean
Old 10-07-2014, 04:56 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
haha, like it or not fresh water tanks have tons of gross worms in it as well. The bristle worms like I linked are a good thing though. They are scavengers and help keep your tank clean

Are these bugs things I can see with the naked eye. Obviously the worm in the reef tank is easy to see. I've never seen a worm in my tanks, if I did, I would have jumped out of my shoes. Is is possible to prevent this? You said the one pictured is a good kind, do these critters help in some way? How do they get there? Sorry for all the questions, this is a huge shocker to me.

Amy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com