where to put skimmer in refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supermarvin76

Aquarium Advice Freak
Im another of my posts, someone said they have their skimmer taking water out of the "main" part of the refugium, then putting it right back into that part.

Is this ok to do? I really would like a skimmer, but I think this is the only way that I can set it up do to space constraints.

should be ok. its not the best but definitely better than no skimmer at all.
whats your sump look like? is it just a one big refug. you could plum a skmmer to draw from the refuge and then into the return. how much
water are you pushing threw the sump?

I heard that it is better to skim from the refug and return to the refug. (I know it is really best to not skim from the refug at all). Reason being, that you are taking out of the water all the "pods" that you are getting from the refug. But in the way that I thought...to skim AND return to the refug, you are atleast skimming, and returning the water to the refug to get more pods.

I am pushing about 350-400gph. I heard that it is not good to rush water through the refug.

I am thinking about splitting my return line with a valve,a nd having some water go back into the refug.

I will try to get a pic to post if you would like.

Back
Top Bottom