Which fish to introduce first? Compatibility?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jess.irene

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay, so I am picking up the second hand 4ft tank that I bought next weekend, and then plan to finish accumulating equipment! So excited!

Anyhow, I know that the tank will need to cycle for some time before adding any fish or inverts, however I would like to get 3-5 green chromis, 1 yellow coral gobie, 1 or 2 Clarkii clowns, and 1 saddle back butterfly, as well as maybe a peppermint shrimp and a few snails, and buy them 2 weeks apart. So I guess my question is, which ones should be bought first? And which should be left til last?
And are they definitely compatible like the site says?

My tank will be approx. 250L and I am looking at adding approx. 20-25kg live rock, with an aqua one power head filter, a wave maker, aqua one heater, and a protein skimmer, with an aqua one air pump and air stone. I'm not going to be able to set up a sump at this stage, so all equipment will be in the tank.

Any suggestions?

I wouldn't use the air pump or air stone in a salt tank but the other stuff looks okay. Are you planning on going reef also? What kind of lighting will it have? I think the butterfly will be difficult, they are a more experienced fish to keep, but everything else should be ok - add the clowns last, they can be aggressive.

I think I am just going to stick to fowlr for a start, I really don't understand corals or anemones etc and all their needs yet nor do I think the budget will stretch too much more..

okay, I might sell the air pump and air stone then... uh, I haven't thought too much about lighting yet as that's proving to be very pricey :( but I will keep looking.. Still yet to buy the filter, wave maker, etc over the next few weeks before I set up the tank..

Are power heads actually used for filtration or just creating water flow?? I'm not sure, everything I read is cryptic..

Thanks heaps for all your help :)

And, maybe forget the butterfly for a while..

Maybe I will just get clowns and chromis :) I really like the green chromis

It can be very confusing I know, mainly because there are so many different ways to set up a tank, no right or wrong and people have success with the different methods. Essentially your live rock is your main filtration, the right temperature and flow aid that. Then you can add mechanical filtration (if you like) or a protein skimmer (recommended) so flow is very important for filtration and oxygen. I think the reason people don't use bubblers is because of salt creep. You will need some kind of light (so your fish can see food mainly) even for fowler and for your enjoyment. Remember fish and corals require night time too so total darkness is needed. Any other questions just ask! Chromosome are hilarious, I heard somebody call them the blondes of the sea ;)

Really? I have only seen pictures, I just think they are so adorable! :)

Okay, so I am definitely getting a protein skimmer and heater, and lights when I can afford one (before I add fish).
Question; do the lights need to run the entire length of the tank ie 4ft tank = 4ft light?

And, as far as filters go, I have an aqua one filter that was used in a 3ft fw tank at mums, can this be used or should it be bigger/better input/output? Can it be used for sw since it has been used for fw?

So many questions.. :s

Always so many questions! I still have questions and have kept reefs for three years now! I just meant that chromis are funny fish, very entertaining. Try and get a skimmer rated for twice the water volume and it's true what they say you get what you pay for so spend the money once and you won't regret it. I've never used that kind of filter before so not sure about that.

With the filter, does it need to be a filter that is rated up to the tank size ie 250L or is a smaller one okay with live rock? The one at my mums is rated to 150L I think.. Or should I just get a new one?

Back
Top Bottom