Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-07-2003, 09:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Which is the best protein skimmer

What would be the best type protein skimmer for a 55 gal FOWLR and a 120 Gal Reef? Brand and model?
Thanks,
Zero

Why Settle For The Lesser Evil! Vote Cthulhu!

Live in Nevada? Visit the Nevada Regional Forum at http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewfo...dcb6a37297e562
CountZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 09:53 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Whats your budget?

There are many good skimmers out there but the prices can vary significantly from under $100 to over $250. Are both these tanks shairing a common sump or will you be looking for two skimmers?

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 06:48 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

2 skimmers. The 120 gallon I would like to set a sump up with so that one can be internal, But I dont have plans as of yet to add a sump to the 55 gal. I want to go with a decent quality but I would like to keep it as cheap as possible without ending up with crap
Zero

Live in Nevada? Visit the Nevada Regional Forum at http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewfo...dcb6a37297e562
Old 09-08-2003, 06:55 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Also, Has anyone used this combo unit? Would it be ok for a 55 gal FOWLR?

http://www.marinedepot.com/a_ps_va.asp

Old 09-08-2003, 09:23 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
My suggestion for the 120g in sump would be a Berlin or, even better, a Berlin XL. Use no less than a Mag 7 pump or a 9.5 for the XL. For the 55, I'd go with an Aqua C Remora with the Maxi Jet pump.
I have never used the Via Aqua skimmer so I don't know if it's any good. It looks overly complicated to me. I think the Aqua C would be much better.
Old 09-08-2003, 11:39 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

AquaC Remora, or similiar design.

Why?

Because it only requires a power head to push water, not make foam. It's built in spray injector is more consistent in terms of operation from unit to unit than any powerhead/venturi based skimmer I've used.

Any, and mean *any* skimmer that uses an off the shelf power-head head to move water *and* act as a bubble maker is a big, random variable. For instance, if you have your power head tilted ever so slightly down, bubbles will build up in the impellar chamber changing their size and consistency. The result is varying efficiency since large bubbles dramatically reduce the efficiency of any skimmer regardless of how fancy the mixing chamber it is. This is why we get wildly varying reports on how good some skimmers are, yet some brands are always consistent.
Old 09-08-2003, 02:45 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have an Aqua C Remora on my 55 and it's money well spent.
Lawnmower Blenny -(Lenny), Talbot's Damsel -(Dottie), Tomato Clown -(Ketchup)
Nameless fish include, Neon Blenny, Singapore Shrimp Goby, Yellow Tail Damsel, 1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimps, purple pseudochromis.
gfishguy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 07:36 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
FOr the 55 maybe the new designed Prizm Pro Deluxe with the surface overflow attachment.

I think the recommendation for teh berlin xl for the 120 is a good one. Sizing the pump on the berlin is important.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 11:24 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

You guys kick butt! Thanks for being so helpful. I am really interested in trying the combo unit out maybe for the 55, but I am ordering the berlin xl for sure for the 120. Any recommendations on what model pump to use with it?
Thanks again,
Zero

P.S. if I get the combo unit I will let you know how it works out for me

Tags
ich, protein, protein skimmer, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com