Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-18-2010, 10:37 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Congrats on the new lights. Yes, LEDs give you the benefit of MH without the heat or power consumption of bulb change associated with MH.
I'm guessing there is no adjustment for the fixtures, so you can't vary the light color (k value). How do you control the moonlight setting? Is there some built in timer?

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:54 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

No, these fixtures do not have variable intensity. You can turn the actinic bulbs on independently of the 10k bulbs though. Even though moonlight is mentioned in the manufacturers website, they do not have a moonlight setting, I would consider it a dusk/dawn effect, not moonlight. There are two power supplies, with two power cords. You have to use an external timer for each color.

I took some photos with my iPhone, i amat work, but will post them to this thread later.

Jared

Old 12-18-2010, 12:20 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i would be interested in PAR numbers. how do you like the look of them? i imagine they look 10k-12k ish? i hope this is enough light for your tank. i would have suggested more than a 150 watt halide if you wanted sps, clams and such.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:33 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

With both sets of bulbs on the light appears the same as my T5HO fixture, which had 12k bulbs and actinic. It is a brilliant white/blue light, and the water shimmers just like with metal halides, it's quite attractive.

They also sell a 90W unit that equals the PAR of a 200W, as well as a 120W that equals a 250W metal halide. I could of course add a third 60W for 450W equivalent of light, these fixtures are quite small, around 8 x 15". I wanted to go brighter, but the boss (wife) would not approve a PO for more money LOL.

By the way, I have two of these fixtures for a total of 300W of metal halide PAR, I'm not sure if that was apparent.
Jared
Old 12-18-2010, 01:35 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

well, if that doesn't work out for you, i can get you one stronger than a 250 watt halide for about 275 bucks.
it's these-
Home
Old 12-19-2010, 09:58 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
well, if that doesn't work out for you, i can get you one stronger than a 250 watt halide for about 275 bucks.
it's these-
Home

Would those be too bright for a 55gallon?

uscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:22 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

no. you would be able to keep whatever you wanted. clams, acropora....you name it. you could always raise them up a bit if you wanted to lower the PAR a bit. these don't dim, so you'll have to figure other ways to adjust them to your needs....hence the price.

Tags
fowlr, ich, light, setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com