White Mold-like substance on Live Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cfedarko

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Due to my porcupine puffer, I have been unable to keep any cleaners in my tank. I had been told to get the rock to help maintain balances in my tank. Unfortunately most of the life on the rock is gone - with only two small orange corals and a clam. The puffer ate the rest. I had a large outbreak of seaweed, although after ripping most off, scrubbing the rest, it is nearly gone.

But, now, I have what appears to be a cloudy white mold-like substance. It does not look like actual coral growth - looks just like the mold you would find on food left in the fridge too long.

Can't find anything to explain what this might be. Anyone have an idea? :confused:

I had white moldy looking stuff growing on mine too. I had LR and lace or base rock but it mainly grew on the lace rock when I first started my tank. I talked to my lfs and he said to try the pincushion urchin becuase he will clean the rocks. The white stuff is gone now but I dont know if urchins are compatible with puffers.
Also, I reduced the time that the lights were on to less then 6 hours. good luck.

I would agree with sponges. I`ve had them and still do. A Pic would work wonders.

When I saw the slim I "googled" but couldn't find anything other than someone saying that she had slim growing on her rocks and when she pulled the rocks out the slim slid off into the water so...I called the LFS where I bought the base rock and they told me that it was a fungus and to just wipe it off and it would be ok. But I decided that I would try to bring the rocks up out of the tank by putting them into a bowl that I lowered into the water and "carefully" lifted them out. It worked. No slim was left in my tank. Now that rocks are outside. I'll probably clean them up and try them later on. But now I do wonder what wound have happened it I'd left them alone ??

must be slightly different in this case then... since it won't slide off on its own. it isn't so much slimy as... feathery mold looking stuff... like a very thick spider web

Mitchell,

Sorry, I had put up pictures, but it was in the identification forum section. I will attach them here as well.

Attachments

• DSC00911.jpg
    DSC00911.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 4,648
  • DSC00912.jpg
    DSC00912.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 8,054
when i first set up my tank, i had base rock. After a week alot of that stuff started growing on the base rock and released alot of air bubbles. Id say its not a sponge. I was told its a mold and i truly believe it, at first i thought it was cyno and my tank was screwed. I removed the base rock immidetly and replaced it with cured live rock and havent seen that stuff since. As for removing it, its quite hardy and grows back extremely fast. But melosu and thincat are some of the best advice and professionals on this site. That stuff decimated my base rock (which i didnt like anyways) and a sponge i wouldnt want.

" I was told its a mold and i truly believe it, at first i thought it was cyno and my tank was screwed."
If you had or will have cyano your tank would not be "Screwed", all that would mean is that you have to pay more attention to your tank. Feed less, less light and more PWC's would be in order. Where there's a will there's a way. Remember always go slow and easy.

Back
Top Bottom