White particles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

apinkmanatee

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have white particles floating in my tank. My tank was established about three months ago and has two clowns in it. About 3 days ago I just noticed the white particles all of a sudden floating everywhere in the water. They are especially noticable when I turn all of the equipment off. It doesn't make the water cloudy, it just looks like snow. I'm sure it's not air bubbles or the sand particles. Any ideas about what this is? Thanks.

Have you moved any of your live rock around lately or stirred up your substrate? I rearranged mine and that happened. I changed my filter pads and did a 25% water change. That helped quite a bit.

nikki_kaiser said:
Have you moved any of your live rock around lately or stirred up your substrate? I rearranged mine and that happened. I changed my filter pads and did a 25% water change. That helped quite a bit.

No I haven't done anything like that lately. Thanks for the idea though. I'm so perplexed.

Are you using a canister filter? I had the same case and I just cleaned my filters and it went away. I have a Marineland C-360 Canister filter.

I don't have a picture, it doesn't show up well. But I did see it tonight, when I turned off the equipment, I saw it shoot out from the filter intake. It's not a canister filter but a biowheel hob filter. I rinsed the cartridges but I think I might replace them tomorrow. Mystery solved! Thanks :)

I have white specs that developed on my live rock and on the glass. Ive noticed them at my lfs also. Any clue what these are?

rupp3322 said:
I have white specs that developed on my live rock and on the glass. Ive noticed them at my lfs also. Any clue what these are?

I really don't know. You should start a new thread so more people will see your question and hopefully someone will know!

rupp3322 said:

Probably very small copepods...

Back
Top Bottom