White spot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KeithFrancis

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does this look like white spot on my Idol? Eating well but looking closely I see spots?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392249949.854095.jpg

What I was worries about!! What should I be doing..hypo or copper
No other fish shoes signs but I know it's living in the dt!!

is the fish scratching or doing anything out of the ordinary???

if it isn't I would probably go hypo if anything.... as it is a slow process to setup and if the ich isn't that bad then it should be ok. hypo is a bit easier on the fish rather than copper..... but I personally do copper though..... I like to make sure those suckers are dead

also if its in the dt... youll probably find that the ich is in the dt whether the morish idol is in qt or not.

ich needs to host fish to survive.... if you want to kill the ich in the dt... you've pretty much got to remove all fish from dp for 6-8 weeks.

Ok, thanks alco..I will start to do more research ASAP! Btw he has not been flashing or scratching on rocks that I've noticed...sure hope I can help him.

Does ick and white spot disease both require the same fallow period?
Reason in asking is idols I've read are prone to white spot disease

ich and white spot is the same thing.... just different names.

yep so same method.... hypo or copper. the only 2 things that have a real proven success rate

is the fish scratching or doing anything out of the ordinary???

if it isn't I would probably go hypo if anything.... as it is a slow process to setup and if the ich isn't that bad then it should be ok. hypo is a bit easier on the fish rather than copper..... but I personally do copper though..... I like to make sure those suckers are dead

also if its in the dt... youll probably find that the ich is in the dt whether the morish idol is in qt or not.

ich needs to host fish to survive.... if you want to kill the ich in the dt... you've pretty much got to remove all fish from dp for 6-8 weeks.

Ok so if I go hypo then that's all done in display tank right? Not quite sure what you mean by removing all fish for 6/8 weeks...I don't have anything big enough to quarantine

the issue with doing hypo in the DT is that it may kill your BB in there.....

so ich generally can survive without a host for 6-8 weeks.

that why if you remove the fish from the DT and leave it empty for 6-8weeks then the ich will die out on its own with no additives

the issue with doing hypo in the DT is that it may kill your BB in there.....

so ich generally can survive without a host for 6-8 weeks.

that why if you remove the fish from the DT and leave it empty for 6-8weeks then the ich will die out on its own with no additives

Thanks Alco, I know I have to do something..it's just seems to be such a daunting task either way...will continue to research and update if anything changes

Ok, so I watched him closely this morning with the lights on and no signs of white spot??? Realize they fall off in another stage where the fish live, but literally all gone..just fed him some garlic filled algae sheets and was first to chomp it up!!
I know it's probably just temporary clear up...tearing down the tank right away with no imminent health scares seems like I'm jumping the gun! Idk
Frustrating..will still get prepared and buy a hospital tank and air stones

That is what was going on with mine...no spots in the morning and they would be there when I got home from work. It did that for about a week and then they stayed there all the time.

As you probably read in my other thread, some people go with the. "Feed them well and keep stress down" approach and the fish will tough it out and overcome the parasite. Since Idols are tough to keep, I would probably go that route, at least for starters.

I have to agree with you there Todd I think that's going be the less stressful route for these fish...everybody seems Great-water parameters are perfect and stress level seem low.. Will turn the lights down and keep feeding, PWC to see what happens?

Idol died:(
Don't understand..he was feeding right up till I found him stuck to the power head. Real bummer..had him for over a year, he was a Character.
All other fish seem fine at the moment.

Btw will NEVER buy a fish without doing due diligence by making sure it's suited for aquarium life!!!!! Fish like idols should only be enjoyed in there natural habitat

So after allowing the tank to go fallow for over a year, I decided to catch the only survivor of that terrible ich outbreak! A convict damsel. Not only did he survive with out regular water changes, he thrived...months went by with regular water topups being his only care (water was actually brackish at .4) well anyway I tried everything to catch him, jig with small hook after weeks of no food, bottle cut in half with a silver side, nothing worked! I had to pull out 250 lbs of live rock out of my aging tank and catch the survivor! No more ick
But damb what a pain!
The damsel? Well he's going to his original home where I saved him from during an ice storm and he will live happily ever afterImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452392150.090211.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom