who said you can't have clowns with a lion fish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

standridge32

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have yellow tang, lion, porciupine puffer, 1 damsel and a pair of black and white clowns. I can't forget my queen conch and cleaner shrimp. 85gs. Absolutely no problems. Everything gets along great. I have heard of a lot of problems with the combinations. But no sign of aggression. I have built a mountain of live rock with several caves and hiding places just incase anything feels threatened but they all swim around minding their own business. Saying all this I dis research and being picky when selecting my fish for my predator tank took a while. I also started with least aggressive to most aggressive that way my clowns and damsel had their territory established. For all the people reading this and wondering how and if they can attempt this you now know it can be done. Do your research go about it the right way and don't rush. It has taken me several months of looking for the perfect fish and research. Good luck.

The lion sooner or later will probably eat ur clowns and damsel. But it may not just keep an eye on them and make sure the bigger fish are kept fed.

And I would watch ur puffer with the lion also cause it may nip at his fins I have the same kind of puffer and he rules the tank and even goes after my eel from time to time

yes for now they might do fine but the thing is over time you might find them all missing. it all depends on the individule fish.

my girlfriend has two turtles both in the same tank with a blue cichlid. they have been together for a year with no trouble, i went over lastnight and the cichlid was missing and she didn't know where it was

I'm not too worried about it. If I start worrying I will throw my clowns in my reef tank or try to get a nem for them to host in.

Im housing the lion/puffer/clown combo as well and the lion doesn't pay them any mind... funny part is my long-nosed butterfly was face to face with the lion the other day lol like they were talking

I'm planing on getting an anemone and a pair of clown fish but I already have a fuzzy dwarf lion. Do you think the'll be fine. The lions only like 2 inches right now

Haha ya my yellow tang and my lion do that all the time its like they are sizeing eachother up its hilarious. But my clowns always swim around my lion and he acta like they aren't even there.

I wouldn't do it just for the fact your lion was in there first. My opinion is since your lion was already in there he has already established his territory and is the more dominate fish. Now if your clowns have already hosted the nem then they have a place to hide if they feel threatened but they can't hide in the nem forever. My suggestion to anyone with a predator tank is always start with lest aggressive to most aggressive. It's worked for me. It doesn't mean it can't be done. Now if your clowns are decent size your chances are good that they would be ok. Let me know what you decide and how it works out for you.

Well my dwarf is s chicken. He won't go near my banded cat shark or banded coral shrimp

Well if you think he will be alright go for it. You have seen that it can be done. I have given you all the details that worked for me. Huma Huma might give you their advise on how to make it work. But in the end its on you. Keep us posted.

It all depends on the fish I guess. I've had big freshwater oscars with 1 inch fry. Never touched them. But my friends Oscar ate his 5 inch pleco. By the way I've seen lionfish before with smaller fish. I think it helps if they are fed well during the day.

Of course it depends on the fish and how its introduced and the age its added to the tank how it was fed before it was added ect. No matter the studies no matter how much they been observed by marine biologist no scientist or educated/non educated person can set there and say I can tell you how a fish is going to react or what they will do next. It's called a hypothesis for a reason and nothing about the ocean or freshwater has been proven or exact science.

Standridge, what type of lion is it? Because that is also an important factor. For example, a Volitans lion may very well eat the clowns someday IF he isn't fed enough and is feeling frisky one day, whereas a zebra, fuzzy, or fu manchu lion probably wouldn't attempt it with full grown clowns.
Part of why I'm getting a Fu Manchu. I don't want him to ever get a bug up his butt and go after my pretties. LOL

Back
Top Bottom