Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-21-2011, 02:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

who said you can't have clowns with a lion fish??

I have yellow tang, lion, porciupine puffer, 1 damsel and a pair of black and white clowns. I can't forget my queen conch and cleaner shrimp. 85gs. Absolutely no problems. Everything gets along great. I have heard of a lot of problems with the combinations. But no sign of aggression. I have built a mountain of live rock with several caves and hiding places just incase anything feels threatened but they all swim around minding their own business. Saying all this I dis research and being picky when selecting my fish for my predator tank took a while. I also started with least aggressive to most aggressive that way my clowns and damsel had their territory established. For all the people reading this and wondering how and if they can attempt this you now know it can be done. Do your research go about it the right way and don't rush. It has taken me several months of looking for the perfect fish and research. Good luck.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

The lion sooner or later will probably eat ur clowns and damsel. But it may not just keep an eye on them and make sure the bigger fish are kept fed.

And I would watch ur puffer with the lion also cause it may nip at his fins I have the same kind of puffer and he rules the tank and even goes after my eel from time to time

Old 10-21-2011, 04:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I've had mine all together for a year and a half successful so far
Old 10-22-2011, 02:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

yes for now they might do fine but the thing is over time you might find them all missing. it all depends on the individule fish.

my girlfriend has two turtles both in the same tank with a blue cichlid. they have been together for a year with no trouble, i went over lastnight and the cichlid was missing and she didn't know where it was
Old 10-22-2011, 02:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by standridge32 View Post
I've had mine all together for a year and a half successful so far
Key Words
I don't wish any bad luck on anyone ,but you never know..good luck in the future and its still something i would never suggest to anyone to try
FTMMWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm not too worried about it. If I start worrying I will throw my clowns in my reef tank or try to get a nem for them to host in.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:56 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Im housing the lion/puffer/clown combo as well and the lion doesn't pay them any mind... funny part is my long-nosed butterfly was face to face with the lion the other day lol like they were talking
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:17 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm planing on getting an anemone and a pair of clown fish but I already have a fuzzy dwarf lion. Do you think the'll be fine. The lions only like 2 inches right now
Old 10-23-2011, 01:36 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Haha ya my yellow tang and my lion do that all the time its like they are sizeing eachother up its hilarious. But my clowns always swim around my lion and he acta like they aren't even there.

I wouldn't do it just for the fact your lion was in there first. My opinion is since your lion was already in there he has already established his territory and is the more dominate fish. Now if your clowns have already hosted the nem then they have a place to hide if they feel threatened but they can't hide in the nem forever. My suggestion to anyone with a predator tank is always start with lest aggressive to most aggressive. It's worked for me. It doesn't mean it can't be done. Now if your clowns are decent size your chances are good that they would be ok. Let me know what you decide and how it works out for you.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:47 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well my dwarf is s chicken. He won't go near my banded cat shark or banded coral shrimp

Tags
clown, clowns, lion fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com