Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-21-2010, 08:53 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Why are my fish dying?

i've been losing my fish ,1 coral beauty,1 flamed angle,1 bangi cardinal,1 long hose butter fly.the first two in the last two days.i have a75gal fowlr.i do my water changes every weekend,test the params weekly.salinity at 1.023,ph 8.0,ammonia 0ppm.nitrite 0.25ppm,nirtrate 0ppm,temp at78. iturned my protien skimmer up to get more junk out of my tank. alot of bubbles and when i do this the fish seem to hide.when i feed them the bubbles get more intense.went to my lfs they assured me everything was fine.i'am at a stage where i don't know what to do. i'am very worried and fustrated.i know i'am doing everything right.i need some help.i'am afraid when tomorrow i will lose anther fish.i feed them brine shrimp,blood worms,mysis and seaweed for my c.c starfish.i'm stummed? the fish were all eating and swimming around fine they seem to hide and then they dont eat.my other fish are fine. could stress be the problem.the tank is in my dinning room and is in a high traffic area. especially when my grand daughter is over.always running and by the tank.the fish seem very sensevtive towards sound and people just looking at the tank.i know i don't have any deseases in my tank because my other fish would.i have in my tank now,2 scooter blennies,1 foxface,2 clowns,1flying gunard,1purple fire fish,1pamjama cardinal 2 c.c starfish,2 peppermint shrimp.well i can't think of anything else at the this time . so please help if anyone can thank you.btw my fish that died were from other lfs',but the fish i still have are from my original lfs i started with.

Old 03-21-2010, 02:13 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Let me just ask a few questions. 1) Have you cycled the tank? 2) Do you use tap water? 3) Do you QT fish before adding to the tank? 4) What kind of filtration are you using? I`m also worried that you might be adding too much too soon. Just tring to rule some things out. Also make a batch of SW and do your water test on the new water before you add it to the tank. Wait for 24-48 hrs before you test and add.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 02:15 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to Aquarium1
Also, any nitrite in a tank is not good.
Aquarium1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 03:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That flying gurnard is gonna need more space 180 gallon and larger they get to 15".
Old 03-21-2010, 05:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

i have had my take for three months,i don't use tap water only reverse osmosis water.i use seaclone 100,150 protein skimmer and sump.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:27 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Please list all of the fish you currently have (alive) and their current size.

How much water are you changnig weekly?
How are you preparing it?
A weekly water channge should be around 10 gallons. The salt should be mixed a day before the change and allowed to aerate with a power head. It should be very close in temp to the tank.

It could just be that the other lfs has a problem with the livestock he is getting.
Or it could be that you have added too much livestock in a short period of time.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:28 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

PJ cardinal,flying gurnard,purple firefish,fox face rabbitfish,2 scooter blennies,2 cc star,purple psuedo,cleaner shrimp, and 2 peppermint shrimp.I do a 10% water change weekly.I put it in a bucket with a power head and a heater.But,I do not let it sit over night.Btw i am planning on getting a uv sterilizer for my tank.What would be a good uv sterilizer for my 75 gal.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:50 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

that seems like a lot of fish for only being up 3 mos. How long did it cycle? what kind of test's are you using? strips or chemical?
Old 03-22-2010, 02:12 PM   #9
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

IMO the coralife turbo twist is the best when it comes to UV`s. Why do you feel you need a UV. They are basically for parasites and algea spores in the water column. I used one for 10 yrs but I dont have one now. They have their purposes IMO.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:34 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

i'am using chemical,it cycled for 6 weeks.api saltwater master test kit.i think i might have a parasite and my lfs said it help save the rest of the fish.

Tags
dyi, dying, fish dying

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com