Why are wet dry filters bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They are just older technology. As long as you have good husbandry it is fine.
I agree. I used a wet/dry with bioballs for close to 15 years and never had nitrate issues. You have to make sure the bioballs stay clean (I had a sponge over the intake on my overflow and cleaned it every couple days) and be consistent with water changes.

they are very good for fish only systems...systems that don't need as close to zero nitrates as possible. they don't complete the cycle and convert the nitrates to nitrogen gas though, and for that reason we like to use live rock instead. live rock has denitrifying bacteria, where the trickle filter setup, being oxygen rich, utilizes nitrifying bacteria.

like stated they are great for fish only systems, but when you want to go the way of the reef then the best form of filtration is a good skimmer and the natural way, it not only helps filters but it helps keep things like nature which is best for everyone

As stated the issue is with nitrate. They trap debris and can keep the nitrate from going below 5-10ppm which is not a problem at all with fish only, but with reefs that is higher than ideal. If you have enough live rock they are pointless since they are just a less effective way of filtering than live rock.

indeed but LR rock in a fish only system isn't needed and is jjst an extra cost, where as a wet dry is cheap

Most people do this and this is what I did... I am starting off with a wet/dry.. I have 150 pounds of base rock and 30 pounds of live rock. This is for a 150 gallon tank. When all the base rock turns to live rock I will start changing my wet/ dry to be a refugium.

If you are in this hobby to save money just get out now.

Live rock is effective natural filtration that requires no maintenance, wet/dry is not. Technically wet/dry is not needed either, so it comes down to what is best for the tank and cheaping out in this hobby is never in the best interest of the tank or livestock. You need rock either way, you can't have an empty tank with just fish in it, even with fish only. The only difference is adding some high quality live rock so that all your rock eventually becomes a great natural filter (it will all become life rock eventually, even if 90% of it starts as dry base rock out of a box). Or you can stay in the 90s and use bioballs, your choice.

Fishguy2727 said:
If you are in this hobby to save money just get out now.

Live rock is effective natural filtration that requires no maintenance, wet/dry is not. Technically wet/dry is not needed either, so it comes down to what is best for the tank and cheaping out in this hobby is never in the best interest of the tank or livestock. You need rock either way, you can't have an empty tank with just fish in it, even with fish only. The only difference is adding some high quality live rock so that all your rock eventually becomes a great natural filter (it will all become life rock eventually, even if 90% of it starts as dry base rock out of a box). Or you can stay in the 90s and use bioballs, your choice.

I'm not trying to find the cheap way into the hobby. I was just curious as to why wet dry is bad? I'll be doing 80% base rock and 20% live for my reef with a refugium.

with a wet/dry in a fish only system its just easy, if you have a sickness that spreads through the tank it is easier to treat with medications then it is with LR, if there is an ick outbreak, copper can be used to treat it and kill the parasite where as in a FOWLR you will end up killing soem life in the rock.

there are advatages to each most sayign go with live rock are reefers and not just fish keepers and are not open to the use of a wet/dry as a form of filtration.

back in the old days of reef keeping there was no natural form of filtration, wet/drys and chemicals along side with waterchanges were used to keep things clean. so a wet/dry is totally do able it just may require a bit more attention and a bit more house keeping to keep nitrates low and detritus out of the bio balls

Or you can setup the tank right, take care of it, and avoid 90% of those illnesses.

So, more work, less effective, old fashioned...hmmm.

I wonder what the fish would prefer. Live rock that provides natural filtration, natural hides, and natural food, or dead rock and plastic balls that trap debris that most people will inevitably neglect.

You could just use an UGF under big chunky crushed coral and go all the way back to the 80s.

If you are on a computer age internet forum, why give pre-email answers?

Back
Top Bottom