Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-18-2011, 12:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Why are wet dry filters bad?

It's curious because everyone seems to dislike them.

life is short... get a fish.
SwimsWithFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

They are just older technology. As long as you have good husbandry it is fine.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:11 PM   #3
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycajun View Post
They are just older technology. As long as you have good husbandry it is fine.
I agree. I used a wet/dry with bioballs for close to 15 years and never had nitrate issues. You have to make sure the bioballs stay clean (I had a sponge over the intake on my overflow and cleaned it every couple days) and be consistent with water changes.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
they are very good for fish only systems...systems that don't need as close to zero nitrates as possible. they don't complete the cycle and convert the nitrates to nitrogen gas though, and for that reason we like to use live rock instead. live rock has denitrifying bacteria, where the trickle filter setup, being oxygen rich, utilizes nitrifying bacteria.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

like stated they are great for fish only systems, but when you want to go the way of the reef then the best form of filtration is a good skimmer and the natural way, it not only helps filters but it helps keep things like nature which is best for everyone
Old 10-19-2011, 08:35 PM   #6

As stated the issue is with nitrate. They trap debris and can keep the nitrate from going below 5-10ppm which is not a problem at all with fish only, but with reefs that is higher than ideal. If you have enough live rock they are pointless since they are just a less effective way of filtering than live rock.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:53 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

indeed but LR rock in a fish only system isn't needed and is jjst an extra cost, where as a wet dry is cheap
Old 10-20-2011, 09:51 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Most people do this and this is what I did... I am starting off with a wet/dry.. I have 150 pounds of base rock and 30 pounds of live rock. This is for a 150 gallon tank. When all the base rock turns to live rock I will start changing my wet/ dry to be a refugium.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:37 PM   #9

If you are in this hobby to save money just get out now.

Live rock is effective natural filtration that requires no maintenance, wet/dry is not. Technically wet/dry is not needed either, so it comes down to what is best for the tank and cheaping out in this hobby is never in the best interest of the tank or livestock. You need rock either way, you can't have an empty tank with just fish in it, even with fish only. The only difference is adding some high quality live rock so that all your rock eventually becomes a great natural filter (it will all become life rock eventually, even if 90% of it starts as dry base rock out of a box). Or you can stay in the 90s and use bioballs, your choice.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:24 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishguy2727
If you are in this hobby to save money just get out now.

Live rock is effective natural filtration that requires no maintenance, wet/dry is not. Technically wet/dry is not needed either, so it comes down to what is best for the tank and cheaping out in this hobby is never in the best interest of the tank or livestock. You need rock either way, you can't have an empty tank with just fish in it, even with fish only. The only difference is adding some high quality live rock so that all your rock eventually becomes a great natural filter (it will all become life rock eventually, even if 90% of it starts as dry base rock out of a box). Or you can stay in the 90s and use bioballs, your choice.
I'm not trying to find the cheap way into the hobby. I was just curious as to why wet dry is bad? I'll be doing 80% base rock and 20% live for my reef with a refugium.

life is short... get a fish.
SwimsWithFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dry, filter, filters, wet, wet dry

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com