Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-04-2009, 03:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Why do fish just die?

My levels are fine, there is no ammonia and yet some fish just die? Under fed, over fed, or what is the cause? I just lost a cardinal fish that was as healthy as the 3 others but when I went home for lunch today there was one at the bottom of the tank dead. I don't get it there isn't any sic or anything else but I still loose fish?

TIA for any clues, Rich

Old 05-04-2009, 03:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

shock maybe, I just lost an angel a few weeks back the other fish were and still are healthy, maybe something got in the tank? and kids around?

Old 05-04-2009, 04:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDevil View Post
shock maybe, I just lost an angel a few weeks back the other fish were and still are healthy, maybe something got in the tank? and kids around?

Nope no kids around just me and my 90 gallon questioning why this happens to what seemed like healthy fish one day and then doing the upside down float the next. Doesn't make sense. All the rest of the fish look great, eat hardily etc. Can't figure it out and it's getting expensive to replace them and then they aren't the same size etc.....

Rich
Old 05-04-2009, 04:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

There has got to be something, how many have you lost total since this started?

what fish did you lose? size? temperment?

alot can come into play, what substrate do you have?

My angel died because it never leaves my hand when Im in the tank doing cleaning and feedings, I was cleaning the sand and his gills got impacted with sand.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:06 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchbn View Post
...and it's getting expensive to replace them and then they aren't the same size etc.....
So this isn't the first time? How many fish have you lost over what time period? Obviously, there could be hundreds of different reasons your fish are dying, but maybe we can home in on some possible reasons.

Are the fish that are dying the newest ones put in? If so, how long do they last? And are you quarantining the fish before putting them in the main tank?

[Edit: Looking back at your previous post at the end of March... did you ever positively cycle the tank? Looks like back then you were putting fish into an uncycled tank. That'll kill 'em every time.]
Old 05-04-2009, 04:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post
So this isn't the first time? How many fish have you lost over what time period? Obviously, there could be hundreds of different reasons your fish are dying, but maybe we can home in on some possible reasons.

Are the fish that are dying the newest ones put in? If so, how long do they last? And are you quarantining the fish before putting them in the main tank?

I have only lost two fish, one cardinal and one clown fish they have been in the tank for 6 weeks. I didn't quarantine them as I didn't have a setup for it then I do now and will in the future do that. All the fish I have were added within two weeks of each other. I started out with 3 black neon damsel and 2 fuji damsel. I then added 2 clown fish and 4 cardinal bangga. I also have an african anemone and a bubble anemone and a brown leather coral and all of them are doing great. I check my water weekly and have a protein filter in my sump. I do water changes of about 10% every two weeks so I'm at a lose to explain why one of them just dies with out symptoms.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:18 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lets get some basic information.
1) what are your readings on your tank water
a) Ammonia
b) Nitrite
c) Nitrate
d) PH
e) Salinity
f) Size of thank
g) how old is the tank
This will help us to hone in on the problem or problems
Old 05-04-2009, 04:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thincat View Post
Lets get some basic information.
1) what are your readings on your tank water
a) Ammonia
b) Nitrite
c) Nitrate
d) PH
e) Salinity
f) Size of thank
g) how old is the tank
This will help us to hone in on the problem or problems
I don't have the numbers with me, I'll write back when I get home this afternoon.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:31 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

And let us know what kind of tests - test strips or liquid test kit...
Old 05-04-2009, 04:52 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

The same reason people "just die" . That's life , my friend.

Tags
die

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com