Why do fish just die?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rchbn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My levels are fine, there is no ammonia and yet some fish just die? Under fed, over fed, or what is the cause? I just lost a cardinal fish that was as healthy as the 3 others but when I went home for lunch today there was one at the bottom of the tank dead. I don't get it there isn't any sic or anything else but I still loose fish?

TIA for any clues, Rich

shock maybe, I just lost an angel a few weeks back the other fish were and still are healthy, maybe something got in the tank? and kids around?

shock maybe, I just lost an angel a few weeks back the other fish were and still are healthy, maybe something got in the tank? and kids around?

Nope no kids around just me and my 90 gallon questioning why this happens to what seemed like healthy fish one day and then doing the upside down float the next. Doesn't make sense. All the rest of the fish look great, eat hardily etc. Can't figure it out and it's getting expensive to replace them and then they aren't the same size etc.....

Rich

There has got to be something, how many have you lost total since this started?

what fish did you lose? size? temperment?

alot can come into play, what substrate do you have?

My angel died because it never leaves my hand when Im in the tank doing cleaning and feedings, I was cleaning the sand and his gills got impacted with sand.

...and it's getting expensive to replace them and then they aren't the same size etc.....

So this isn't the first time? How many fish have you lost over what time period? Obviously, there could be hundreds of different reasons your fish are dying, but maybe we can home in on some possible reasons.

Are the fish that are dying the newest ones put in? If so, how long do they last? And are you quarantining the fish before putting them in the main tank?

[Edit: Looking back at your previous post at the end of March... did you ever positively cycle the tank? Looks like back then you were putting fish into an uncycled tank. That'll kill 'em every time.]

Last edited:
So this isn't the first time? How many fish have you lost over what time period? Obviously, there could be hundreds of different reasons your fish are dying, but maybe we can home in on some possible reasons.

Are the fish that are dying the newest ones put in? If so, how long do they last? And are you quarantining the fish before putting them in the main tank?

I have only lost two fish, one cardinal and one clown fish they have been in the tank for 6 weeks. I didn't quarantine them as I didn't have a setup for it then I do now and will in the future do that. All the fish I have were added within two weeks of each other. I started out with 3 black neon damsel and 2 fuji damsel. I then added 2 clown fish and 4 cardinal bangga. I also have an african anemone and a bubble anemone and a brown leather coral and all of them are doing great. I check my water weekly and have a protein filter in my sump. I do water changes of about 10% every two weeks so I'm at a lose to explain why one of them just dies with out symptoms.

Lets get some basic information.
1) what are your readings on your tank water
a) Ammonia
b) Nitrite
c) Nitrate
d) PH
e) Salinity
f) Size of thank
g) how old is the tank
This will help us to hone in on the problem or problems

a) Ammonia
b) Nitrite
c) Nitrate
d) PH
e) Salinity
f) Size of thank
g) how old is the tank

I don't have the numbers with me, I'll write back when I get home this afternoon.

The same reason people "just die" . That's life , my friend.

Dont use strips, please do not use strips, they are off by up to 40ppm.

Want a good place that does fantastic work and specializes in salt water

sea escapes out of south elgin,il. depending where you are its around a 2 hour drive however these guys have been in the business forever and continue to be one of the leading SW suppliers in the chicagoland area.

a) Ammonia
b) Nitrite
c) Nitrate
d) PH
e) Salinity
f) Size of thank
g) how old is the tank

A=0
B=.5
C=10
D=7.2
E=1.022 Refractometer
F=90 gallon with 20 gallon sump with protein skimmer
G= 4+ months old.

I use the reef kit for testing.

Rich

[Edit: Looking back at your previous post at the end of March... did you ever positively cycle the tank? Looks like back then you were putting fish into an uncycled tank. That'll kill 'em every time.]

Yes I cycled the tank with two large raw shrimp tails. I had a spike then all went well for quite some time. I cycled on 3/22/09.

when i had a fowlr that happened to me once but instead all my fish died except the pair of clowns it happened overnight. even my damsel died which its still a mystery to my to this day. i dont think no one will figure this one out.

You should not have any readings on your nitrite test. Nitrite is deadly to fish even in small amounts. Don't add any more fish untill that level is at 0 and stays that way for at least a week. Your PH is a little low, but not the major concern at the moment. Also you can raise your SG a bit to at least 1.025

Incorrect, NO2 (nitrite) is lethal to freshwater fish in small increments. Acute toxicity doesn't seem to affect saltwater fish and even invertebrates until 100ppm. For the most part, NH3 and NO2 are quickly converted anyways so unless cycling or barring a major disaster I see no problem with the numbers. Have you tried purchasing from a different source?

Don't think it has anything to do w/ the low PH? Though I guess you would expect any PH shock to happen right away. I can't imagine the lfs is operating at a PH of 7.2, 1.022 maybe but 7.2?

Don't think it has anything to do w/ the low PH? Though I guess you would expect any PH shock to happen right away. I can't imagine the lfs is operating at a PH of 7.2, 1.022 maybe but 7.2?

The PH has been at this level since I've started. I've heard the things you add to raise it only last a short time. Is there a better method to raise the PH than the solutions I've heard of?

Rich

I was less commenting on the PH you have but instead the difference between what i consider you very low PH (and border line salinity as well) and that of the LFS where you bought the fish. Given that it's been weeks it's probably not germane but it still must be an acclimation shock.

With PH , it depends on when you take the readings, if you have an open tank or lids, etc. Always take the reading at the same time of day, preferably after lights out (I believe). I haven't tested for PH in so long I can't remember for sure

It's with the lights on, the PH goes down after lights out. Plants don't use O2 at night. They give off CO2 at night. So PH goes down at night normally. you want to check it a few hours after lights come on.

Back
Top Bottom