Why do my coral banded shrimp keep dying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Where would you get such a filter? Hmm...*Strokes chin*

Just to clarify, it's not on/in the tank. Attached to your water system in your house, then you add salt to the RO/DI water, measure it w/ a hydrometer to correct salinity then aerate it in a tub for 24 hrs before using in the tank. It'll be about $150-200 then installed whether you pay someone or DIY.

Why are my snails surviving? Also, what's a rodi filter?

There's probably heavy metals such as Copper in your tap water which is toxic to invertebrates. And come to find out, HOLY CRAP, some freshwater fish flakes have Copper!! I have a few FW tanks & one w/ shrimp. Amazing I happen to be using the right flake food for that tank that won't contaminate the water--I do give another tank the flakes w/ Copper! I'm grateful I came across that tidbit of info. AND if your tank or any of it's contents we're used, it could be leaching Copper if a copper med was ever used it in--certain items can be cleaned but some need to be tossed as they absorb the Copper. More than likely your issue is water quality. Good luck!!

I mean nitrite spike :p

I am not the cycle master... But I'd say you're cycled if your NitrAtes are that high (as long as NitrItes are zero & ammonia is zero)--maybe you missed the NitrIte spike between testings. IDK how much NitrAte snails can take, I'd say like fish, not very much-- need to get that down. With animals in there, I'd be doing PWC's to bring the levels down. And figure out what else is causing the shrimp to die before adding more. Take a water sample to the LFS & see if they can test Copper for you.

You testing Phosphates? Leaving the dead shrimp would jack that up, I'm sure. Which wouldn't be good for animals in the tank.

I have nitrates (40 ppm) and maintain inverts. I found the key is proper acclimation and treating large water changes similar to the acclimation process. Meaning, when I perform water changes I use a dosing pump to add the saltwater instead of dumping the new water into the tank. I killed a few shrimp along the way until I figured this out (they were dying shortly after water changes)

Us there an API test kit for phosphate and all the rest of the stuff?

I bought a API Master Saltwater test kit, then bought the Phosphate test separately.

How do you get rid of heavy metals in water?

I would have the water tested first before doing anything drastic. I've never had to deal w/ it but I'm pretty sure it'd be cleaning your tank & everything water touches completely. Throwing away anything that'd absorb Copper or other heavy metals like Live Rock, sand/gravel, filter material, etc.

Run some high grade carbon and it will remove the heavy metals in the water column

I would have to get rid of 100 bucks worth of rock?! And a bunch of live sand? :(

Have you tested the water yet for heavy metals?? Try that first. Take a water sample to an LFS. Or call around, find out who will test your water for free. Then go from there. Somebody said just a high grade carbon will do the trick, maybe some others will chime in w/ some input.

Does that mean I need to get rid of all my live rock and sand?

Until you have it tested, do not throw anything away. Yes, live rock & sand can absorb heavy metals & leach them later. However somebody said just run high grade carbon filters & that should do the trick, IDK. Get your water tested & come back.

Back
Top Bottom