Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-01-2006, 07:54 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak
I doubt that it's 580 because before that I believe that it would presipitate out of solution.

Take a sample to the lfs and have your level rechecked.

Salifert kits are available @ marinedepot.com

46 gal FOWLR
11lb Live Rock - 40lb Live Sand
ProClear Pro 75 - LR rubble & skimmer in sump
AC 300 HOB
AC 402 Powerhead - AC 301 Powerhead
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 06:04 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist
Hmm..checked it again today and its still high. I called the LFS and they will do a calcium/alkalinity test for me this week.

IF I really do have that high of calcium without adding anything extra to my tank..is that bad for my fish or LR?

Could excess calcium cause my LR to turn white?
(bare rock with not many goodies has white with some greenish spots AND aquacultured rock, colored coralline has white overtop of it)

courtneyclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 01:14 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Newbie

#1 the wattage of your bulbs is determined by the size of the ballast running them. A larger ballast will run a lower wattage bulb higher but it will not last as long. The rating at which the bulb manufacturer publishes is that at which the buyer will receive the most bang for your buck.

#2 What Charlie suggested is accurate yet you may have the wrong approach. You need to return to the LFS that you purchased your rock from and ask for a sample of their water for you to inturn take home and test with your kit not have them test with their kit. you need to establish a control which will then in inturn help you determine if your test kit is accurate or not. ie if the LFS water tests at 500 and they indicate that their test kit showed 400 then you know that you are most likely 100 off. Also remember that with a young tank you will encounter diatoms and some other occurences with a new tank that you would not see with a used tank.

phelps is offline   Reply With Quote

plant, plants

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com