Why shouldn't I get a Porcupine puffer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rdefino

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 75 FOWLR 2damsels, 1 trigger, 1 snowflake, 1 lion. I'm looking at getting a puffer, matbe a Porcupine puffer. Is there any reson I shouldn't?

Puffer would be a good tank mate for the fish you have, you have an aggressive tank and a puffer would do well, keep in mind dont get a puffer to small that the lion can eat in and don't get a puffer to big that is will go after your lion
Puffers are to be more agressive then lions but I have seen it the other way around ,you don't want your puffer to get eaten as it contains a slim that will kill what ever eats it also you don't want you lion to be eaten so try to find something about the same size or at least large enough that the lion wont bother it

Most puffers will eat feeders and smaller fish so like everyone said size is your main issue... I do hear that they will get quite large though so keep that in mind as well. With the look of your stock you couldn't have an invert if you wanted.

my concern would be the bioload. Your eel, lion and trigger produce ALOT of waste
material.....puffers are very messy as well. I would think you are pushing the max on that unless you have a very good protein skimmer and lots of liverock.

All that already in a 75 gal I think gettin a puffer would really push the limits on your tank. Besides Bioload consider the size and room for these fishes. You probably dont have enough space.
Also imo i think a trigger depending on what kind will outgrow a 75gal.

Back
Top Bottom