Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 05-23-2012, 03:39 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Jamers442's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism
Open your windows, oxygen will increase ph if there is excess buildup in the house. I would also be testing your alk. Adding buffer will raise your alk fast if your not careful.

7.8 is ok and will not harm anything however long term it can become a issue. Alk and ph go hand and hand. Excess co2 is also the main cause of depressed ph.

Also when you do a waterchange and the ph is 7.8 in the tank if your doing a 20% water change with 8.2 water then the tank water after the change is not even going to be 7.9 that is why you noticed no change. If your alk is low then it will take a few water changes to get it buffered where it belonga for your ph to become 8.2 in the tank.
Ok Schism ive open windows now lol and i will get an alk test today thankyou!
__________________

__________________
Jamers442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:43 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Jamers442's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism
Open your windows, oxygen will increase ph if there is excess buildup in the house. I would also be testing your alk. Adding buffer will raise your alk fast if your not careful.

7.8 is ok and will not harm anything however long term it can become a issue. Alk and ph go hand and hand. Excess co2 is also the main cause of depressed ph.

Also when you do a waterchange and the ph is 7.8 in the tank if your doing a 20% water change with 8.2 water then the tank water after the change is not even going to be 7.9 that is why you noticed no change. If your alk is low then it will take a few water changes to get it buffered where it belonga for your ph to become 8.2 in the tank.
Sorry Schism i forgot to mention that the water that iam doing my changes with is 7.8 unless i add the buffer then that brings it up to 8.2, so what iam trying to say is if i keep changing the water with 7.8 will it still eventually rise or not?
__________________

__________________
Jamers442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:01 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Schism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lima, Ohio
Posts: 2,093
No i will not, unless the fresh air helps. But you cant keep adding buffer without checking your alk or your asking for trouble.
__________________
29g Mixed Reef, 150w 14k Phoenix MH w/ Moonlights, Reef Octopus BH1000 HOB Skimmer, Ecotech Vortech MP10es, ReefKeeper Lite (Plus), PH Probe, Temp Probe, ATO, Carbon/GFO Reactor.
Schism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:15 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Jamers442's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism
No i will not, unless the fresh air helps. But you cant keep adding buffer without checking your alk or your asking for trouble.
Ok so no more buffer, regular water changes and test alk right? P.s what will i need to do if the alk is to high?
__________________
Jamers442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:42 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Schism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lima, Ohio
Posts: 2,093
Water changes without buffer.
__________________
29g Mixed Reef, 150w 14k Phoenix MH w/ Moonlights, Reef Octopus BH1000 HOB Skimmer, Ecotech Vortech MP10es, ReefKeeper Lite (Plus), PH Probe, Temp Probe, ATO, Carbon/GFO Reactor.
Schism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:44 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Jamers442's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism
Water changes without buffer.
Cheers👍
__________________
Jamers442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:15 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Brooklyn2la's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 89
How's the water movement on surface? Do you have a skimmer? The more water mixes with air- ph goes up. Skimmer mixes water with the air and removes proteins. I'm a noob so this is stuff I've read- let us know what happens
__________________
Brooklyn2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:31 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Jamers442's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn2la
How's the water movement on surface? Do you have a skimmer? The more water mixes with air- ph goes up. Skimmer mixes water with the air and removes proteins. I'm a noob so this is stuff I've read- let us know what happens
The movement is fine i have the power heads pointing upwards but i dont have a skimmer tho iam planning on getting one soon ive been outbidded twice on ebay for a red sea deluxe one but iam watching one at the min hopefully i'll win that bid cheers for the advice; )
__________________

__________________
Jamers442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.