Why wont my ph rise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jamers442

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys, i have set up my saltwater tank about a week ago now and i have two green chromis in there to help with the cycle, i tested my water when i first set it up and the ph was about 7.8 i know fish can live at that but its ideal to have it between 8.2 and 8.4 so i bought some Kent buffer and have been adding it to the tank for the past three days but its staying at 7.8: ( i done a water change yesterday and added the buffer to the fresh saltwater before adding it to my tank, tested it after an hour or so and it read 8.2 i then added the fresh water to my aquarium and done another test an hour later and it read 7.8 still!!!! Sorry for waffling on but can some pls explain whats goin on? P.s i have checked all other perimeters and everthing seems fine (Amonia= 0ppm, Nitrite=0ppm and Nitrate 0.5ppm. Cheers Jamers!

I would leave the ph alone and just do your water changes. 7.8 is fine as long as it's stable. It's easier and safer to let it be rather than adding buffers and other chemicals which can cause more harm than good.
:)

Kent buffer also raises your alkalinity with the ph. The alkalinity increase can be harmful. Dosing aquariums can be bad if you aren't careful and test for it. And in reality, 7.8 is just fine for ph as long as it is stable.

carey said:
I would leave the ph alone and just do your water changes. 7.8 is fine as long as it's stable. It's easier and safer to let it be rather than adding buffers and other chemicals which can cause more harm than good.
:)

Ok thanks i will leave it be now and just concentrate on the water changes do you think it will be fine to add a clown fish tomorrow???

Sniperhank said:
Kent buffer also raises your alkalinity with the ph. The alkalinity increase can be harmful. Dosing aquariums can be bad if you aren't careful and test for it. And in reality, 7.8 is just fine for ph as long as it is stable.

Thanks for the reply i will be taking everthing on board its just a learning curve i suppose?

Jamers442 said:
Ok thanks i will leave it be now and just concentrate on the water changes do you think it will be fine to add a clown fish tomorrow???

You really should wait for your cycle to finish before adding fish. Take it slow with SW tanks. No need to hurry things up.

AquaRick said:
You really should wait for your cycle to finish before adding fish. Take it slow with SW tanks. No need to hurry things up.

Yeah but if ive tested everything and its all ok will it be ok to add one more fish then leave for about a month or two?

You will want to wait. You haven't had the uglies yet! The algae bloom... Your water may test fine but in this hobby slow and steady wins the race.

Open your windows, oxygen will increase ph if there is excess buildup in the house. I would also be testing your alk. Adding buffer will raise your alk fast if your not careful.

7.8 is ok and will not harm anything however long term it can become a issue. Alk and ph go hand and hand. Excess co2 is also the main cause of depressed ph.

Also when you do a waterchange and the ph is 7.8 in the tank if your doing a 20% water change with 8.2 water then the tank water after the change is not even going to be 7.9 that is why you noticed no change. If your alk is low then it will take a few water changes to get it buffered where it belonga for your ph to become 8.2 in the tank.

Crystal A said:
You will want to wait. You haven't had the uglies yet! The algae bloom... Your water may test fine but in this hobby slow and steady wins the race.

Ok thanks Crystal: )

Schism said:
Open your windows, oxygen will increase ph if there is excess buildup in the house. I would also be testing your alk. Adding buffer will raise your alk fast if your not careful.

7.8 is ok and will not harm anything however long term it can become a issue. Alk and ph go hand and hand. Excess co2 is also the main cause of depressed ph.

Also when you do a waterchange and the ph is 7.8 in the tank if your doing a 20% water change with 8.2 water then the tank water after the change is not even going to be 7.9 that is why you noticed no change. If your alk is low then it will take a few water changes to get it buffered where it belonga for your ph to become 8.2 in the tank.

Ok Schism ive open windows now lol and i will get an alk test today thankyou!

Schism said:

Sorry Schism i forgot to mention that the water that iam doing my changes with is 7.8 unless i add the buffer then that brings it up to 8.2, so what iam trying to say is if i keep changing the water with 7.8 will it still eventually rise or not?

No i will not, unless the fresh air helps. But you cant keep adding buffer without checking your alk or your asking for trouble.

Schism said:
No i will not, unless the fresh air helps. But you cant keep adding buffer without checking your alk or your asking for trouble.

Ok so no more buffer, regular water changes and test alk right? P.s what will i need to do if the alk is to high?

How's the water movement on surface? Do you have a skimmer? The more water mixes with air- ph goes up. Skimmer mixes water with the air and removes proteins. I'm a noob so this is stuff I've read- let us know what happens

Brooklyn2la said:
How's the water movement on surface? Do you have a skimmer? The more water mixes with air- ph goes up. Skimmer mixes water with the air and removes proteins. I'm a noob so this is stuff I've read- let us know what happens

The movement is fine i have the power heads pointing upwards but i dont have a skimmer tho iam planning on getting one soon ive been outbidded twice on ebay for a red sea deluxe one but iam watching one at the min hopefully i'll win that bid cheers for the advice; )

Back
Top Bottom