Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-22-2012, 12:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Why wont my ph rise

Hey guys, i have set up my saltwater tank about a week ago now and i have two green chromis in there to help with the cycle, i tested my water when i first set it up and the ph was about 7.8 i know fish can live at that but its ideal to have it between 8.2 and 8.4 so i bought some Kent buffer and have been adding it to the tank for the past three days but its staying at 7.8: ( i done a water change yesterday and added the buffer to the fresh saltwater before adding it to my tank, tested it after an hour or so and it read 8.2 i then added the fresh water to my aquarium and done another test an hour later and it read 7.8 still!!!! Sorry for waffling on but can some pls explain whats goin on? P.s i have checked all other perimeters and everthing seems fine (Amonia= 0ppm, Nitrite=0ppm and Nitrate 0.5ppm. Cheers Jamers!

Old 05-22-2012, 02:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would leave the ph alone and just do your water changes. 7.8 is fine as long as it's stable. It's easier and safer to let it be rather than adding buffers and other chemicals which can cause more harm than good.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:19 PM   #3
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Kent buffer also raises your alkalinity with the ph. The alkalinity increase can be harmful. Dosing aquariums can be bad if you aren't careful and test for it. And in reality, 7.8 is just fine for ph as long as it is stable.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:36 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
I would leave the ph alone and just do your water changes. 7.8 is fine as long as it's stable. It's easier and safer to let it be rather than adding buffers and other chemicals which can cause more harm than good.
Ok thanks i will leave it be now and just concentrate on the water changes do you think it will be fine to add a clown fish tomorrow???
Old 05-22-2012, 03:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank
Kent buffer also raises your alkalinity with the ph. The alkalinity increase can be harmful. Dosing aquariums can be bad if you aren't careful and test for it. And in reality, 7.8 is just fine for ph as long as it is stable.
Thanks for the reply i will be taking everthing on board its just a learning curve i suppose👍
Old 05-22-2012, 03:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamers442

Ok thanks i will leave it be now and just concentrate on the water changes do you think it will be fine to add a clown fish tomorrow???
You really should wait for your cycle to finish before adding fish. Take it slow with SW tanks. No need to hurry things up.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:46 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaRick

You really should wait for your cycle to finish before adding fish. Take it slow with SW tanks. No need to hurry things up.
Yeah but if ive tested everything and its all ok will it be ok to add one more fish then leave for about a month or two?
Old 05-23-2012, 01:29 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You will want to wait. You haven't had the uglies yet! The algae bloom... Your water may test fine but in this hobby slow and steady wins the race.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:50 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Open your windows, oxygen will increase ph if there is excess buildup in the house. I would also be testing your alk. Adding buffer will raise your alk fast if your not careful.

7.8 is ok and will not harm anything however long term it can become a issue. Alk and ph go hand and hand. Excess co2 is also the main cause of depressed ph.

Also when you do a waterchange and the ph is 7.8 in the tank if your doing a 20% water change with 8.2 water then the tank water after the change is not even going to be 7.9 that is why you noticed no change. If your alk is low then it will take a few water changes to get it buffered where it belonga for your ph to become 8.2 in the tank.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:36 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal A
You will want to wait. You haven't had the uglies yet! The algae bloom... Your water may test fine but in this hobby slow and steady wins the race.
Ok thanks Crystal: )

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com