Wierd

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NeoCatsy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I set up a QT tank a (10 gallon). kinda like a PWC. I used the Water from my mother tank. Before all was clam and great

amm 0
SG .1026
ph8.2
nitrite 0
Nitrate .10

When i finished i set the water level back where it was using the same methods I have always used for the past 6 months.

Now the water is

amm 0
nitrite .25
nitrate between 40-80
ph 8.0
sg 1.028
The fish seem fine they are eating and swimming about. Should i get another test. I am confused

sub, LS 40 lbs LR 30 on the way 6 fish , 2 stars, 1 crab , 3 shrimp

I'm confused too.

So are you saying that after taking 10g out of your main tank and putting 10g of new saltwater back in, your numbers went from the first set to the second set?

Also... what exactly are "the same methods I have always used"?

If it was just one of your parameters that were weird, I'd think you had a bad test kit. But the salinity, nitrates, and nitrites are all strange. Have you tested the new/fresh saltwater if you have it stored? Sounds like the new water you put in wasn't too good.

Did you move any rocks or sand or anything when you set up your QT? The bacteria that processes the waste (and maintains your cycle) doesn't really live in the water column, so just moving water (while it is a good idea to do that too) isn't enough. You need some form of media (live rock, sand, filters, something) that is seeded with the beneficial bacteria to help keep your water parameters in check in the new tank. This is probably why your seeing a mini-cycle.

I'm confused too.

So are you saying that after taking 10g out of your main tank and putting 10g of new saltwater back in, your numbers went from the first set to the second set?

Also... what exactly are "the same methods I have always used"?

If it was just one of your parameters that were weird, I'd think you had a bad test kit. But the salinity, nitrates, and nitrites are all strange. Have you tested the new/fresh saltwater if you have it stored? Sounds like the new water you put in wasn't too good.

The methods are

I have a suction tube that i used, to siphon off the water in the top of the tank. I use the water out of the faucet that i run through a rodi filter ive been using this water for 6 months with no problem. I try not to store water to much.

Did you move any rocks or sand or anything when you set up your QT? The bacteria that processes the waste (and maintains your cycle) doesn't really live in the water column, so just moving water (while it is a good idea to do that too) isn't enough. You need some form of media (live rock, sand, filters, something) that is seeded with the beneficial bacteria to help keep your water parameters in check in the new tank. This is probably why your seeing a mini-cycle.

i took 1 rock off the top of the stack that i have. but my main tank is what is bothering me. why would the main tank cycle. the fish seem fine should i worry?

I did a water test , the new results:

amm .25
Nitrates between 15-20
Nitrites 0
PH 7.9
Sg 1.029

Sorry, I misunderstood the parameters as coming from the QT tank.

I wonder if maybe you need to change out your filters in your RODI unit. maybe some chlorine is getting through, and this can be detrimental to the bacteria.

Why is your sg increasing?

.... I use the water out of the faucet that i run through a rodi filter ive been using this water for 6 months with no problem. I try not to store water to much.

I'd test your source water for nitrates/nitrites, and then your newly mixed saltwater to rule out contamination from the source. If you have a TDS meter, checking the TDS of your DI output would be good too - your DI resin could be dead. Bad source water could account for the nitrates and nitrites suddenly showing up.

If you're not storing saltwater, then how long are you allowing the freshly made saltwater to sit before adding it to the tank? If it's less than a day, your salinity could be increasing as more of the salt mix dissolves over time. Are you using a swing-arm hydrometer or a refractometer to measure the salinity?

That's ok. I tend to get a head of my self. Thanks. I let the water sit for 24-30 hours before i add it. I use a floating hydrometer and a refractometer. thanks for the help.

Another thought about DI resin... when it is fully used up, if you let it stay in there too long, it is possible for the resin to leach the contaminants it has "locked up" back into your RO water. Depending on the TDS of your incoming water, you could actually end up with higher TDS water coming out than going in.

Back
Top Bottom