Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-21-2014, 10:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wild Caught Saltwater fish

Next week I am going to intercostal North Carolina for vacation and I am thinking about bringing home some smaller fish for my 75. The problem I have is that I live in Pennsylvania, witch is 300 miles and ten hours including DC traffic. The questions I have is how long can I keep these fish alive in a styrophom bucket with a lid and an aireader. If I start to collect on the first day could I do water changes in the bucket, or should I just do it all on my last or or second to last day without waterchanges.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 07-22-2014, 12:33 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

I do not envy that drive
If you keep up with the water changes then perhaps you can collect them early in the week. You may want to pick up a styrofoam cooler with lid (more volume to keep them in during the week). Fish are shipped across the country and over seas; I think they should be fine for your day trip.
May I ask, what types were you thinking of collecting?
A one week NC fishing license is about $12 in case you were going to get one.
Also, routes 95 and 64 can be brutal. Look for routes 1 and 460/58 as alternatives. And maybe even route 15 through NoVa and MD to avoid the Cap and B'More beltways. Ugh, I hate traffic. Good luck.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:37 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Sorry for the double post...mobile app was hanging...
Old 07-22-2014, 02:25 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, you can keep them that way for quite a while, weeks even, as long as you change water every day or 2 provided that no ammonia starts to build up due to over crowding. The more water you can change on the fish however, the better. What I would not do is try to feed these fish while in the bucket. You want them to empty their stomachs for the trip back to PA. This way, no extra ammonia sources when you can't change water.
The last thing I would do before setting off back home is a large water change in the bucket with the cleanest water you can find. You might even want to collect some water, on any day you see clean water , and keep it next to the bucket so that it gets to the same temperature as the bucket's water. This way, you will help eliminate possible disease outbreaks due to temperature shock.
Hope this helps. Good luck on your quest
Old 07-22-2014, 08:31 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

What sort of fish you looking to catch?

Your friendly fish friend
sidgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:27 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidgolding View Post
What sort of fish you looking to catch?

Pinfish and sorts of fish in that family

Old 07-22-2014, 11:30 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I already have a fishing licenses in NC like I'm there all the time! I will try to catch smaller fish to lower my ammonia in my bucket. It also seems like HUGE water changes twice a day is key!

Thanks a lot

Old 07-22-2014, 12:01 PM   #8
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

don't keep fish directly in Styrofoam cooler
bag each fish separately making sure to give them enough room but not enough to slosh around, and plenty of air in each bag ,

keep the cooler out of direct sunlight , if the fish are caught less than 100 miles off shore they most likely are polluted , check with local fish and wild life on regulations ,
having a fishing license covers only fish to be consumed , not for captivity you need a special permit for this ,
there is a class you can take in fort fisher aquarium its like 2 hrs this class needs to be completed first ,
than you need to go apply for permits, remember some fish are under the endangered species list
N.C. has some strict laws so beware fines can go as high as $10,000.
be safe not sorry
Old 07-22-2014, 12:16 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54seaweed View Post
don't keep fish directly in Styrofoam cooler
bag each fish separately making sure to give them enough room but not enough to slosh around, and plenty of air in each bag ,

keep the cooler out of direct sunlight , if the fish are caught less than 100 miles off shore they most likely are polluted , check with local fish and wild life on regulations ,
having a fishing license covers only fish to be consumed , not for captivity you need a special permit for this ,
there is a class you can take in fort fisher aquarium its like 2 hrs this class needs to be completed first ,
than you need to go apply for permits, remember some fish are under the endangered species list
N.C. has some strict laws so beware fines can go as high as $10,000.
be safe not sorry

I'll be fishing in the salty portion of the Pamlico River, the water quality is not the best but does sustain backwater from the swamps that makes fish populations higher. I pretty much know what is endangered in the area but I will be keeping watch on what I catch and how much I catch. Also I will look further into the laws of NC's fishing and look into perments.

Thanks

Old 07-22-2014, 01:08 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

This thread brings up some very interesting and important points, especially from Andy and Seaweed (from NC before you moved out west?)
And I was only concerned about traffic.

Tags
ate, fish, salt, saltwater, saltwater fish, water, wild

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com