Will cleaner shrimp survive Hyposalinity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sloanhaus

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have ich in my tank and am moving out all my invertebrates to another tank. I was wondering if my cleaner shrimp will survive? Also, what affect will hypo salinity have on my live rock as I don't want to move it.

Thanks

Why would you subject a shrimp to Hypo? Hypo is a fish treatment.

Best bet is to take your fish and put them in a hospital tank. Treat with Hypo or copper based meds.

Let the display tank remain fallow (fishless) for a minimum of 4 weeks, 8 being preferable. Ich has a fairly short life cycle, and without a fish host, it will die. They cannot use shrimp as a host, so there is no need to move the shrimp, or use hypo on the rocks. No fish + time = no ich.

This is a 210 gallon tank with 300 lbs of live rock. I would prefer to do the hypo in the DT. I have already moved all Of my cleaning crew to another tank. The cleaner shrimp are helping my infected fish so if they could stay great, otherwise i will move them in with the cleaning crew.

Also, do I need to feed the cleaning crew anything?

To get the hypo tratment, well... hypo enough, will likely kill off many of the beneficial organisms in and around the rock and substrate. Maybe not the bacteria, but all the micro brittle stars, pods, bristle worms, sponges, coralline algae, so on and so forth. Hypo really isn't a good DT option.
I feel your pain, though. My tank is much smaller, and I am moving at the end of the month, and even the task of breaking this down is overwhelming.
Cleaner shrimp and ich... lot of misconceptions here. The shrimp are picking off dead scales, bits of loose mucous, damaged skin cells, etc. Thy do absolutely nothing for the ich itself. The white spots you see are not the actual cryptocaryon parasite, but rather the fish's own immune response to them. Like a scab over an infection. Hypo will do far more than any shrimp ever could.

Feeding the CUC - Yup. For the length of time it'll take to destroy all ich, they will need some food. I'd just drop in a few sinking pellets every few days. They won't need much. You're essentially replacing leftover fish food and fish poop with intentional fish food.

Thanks so much for the info. The tank is only 2 months old so I am not to worried about the micoorganisms. At the end of the day, this will be the least stressfully on the few fish I have. I will be qt ing everything from now on for 4 weeks. Tangs are so prone to ich, it just kills me.

One last question. The guides for salinity really harp on the 1.09 number. My refractometer only goes to 1.15 and than you have to kind of guess. Will my fish be ok at 1.08 or 1.07?

Back
Top Bottom