will i be able to have corals with this light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarrett

Aquarium Advice Freak
i just bought a solarmax HO double T5 lighting system its got one 10,000K daylight lamp and 1 T5 actinic-03 lamp will i be able to have corals with this light now? if so what corals could i get. and i also bought the light so i could get some coraline alage growth do you think this light will give me that? or should i be doing anything to help it along. i already traet the tank with trace elements part A and part B

What size tank?
What wattage bulbs?
Does the fixture have individual curved reflectors?

You shouldn't need trace elements or an A and B supplements (calcium and alkalinity). Until you have corals and know you need certain things don't just add things because the guy at the LFS told you need to.

Most likely the lighting will support some corals, but until we get more details we can't tell you which ones it will limit you to.

I hear that 18000K is awesome for coral...or is that the actinic?

It says lamp type T5 HO 39W x 2 78 w and then input power 120v / 60HZ ( sorry don't know much about lights and the important info u need that's what is said on the box ) and its a 36 inch light on a 45 gallon tank and theirs a glass cover that encased the lights which is the reflector

Jarrett said:
It says lamp type T5 HO 39W x 2 78 w and then input power 120v / 60HZ ( sorry don't know much about lights and the important info u need that's what is said on the box ) and its a 36 inch light on a 45 gallon tank and theirs a glass cover that encased the lights which is the reflector

Hmmm but it doesn't give a number of Kelvins? Sorry I'm kinda new to lights too...I'll let the experts chime in!

You should be able to have zoanthids, mushrooms, Xenia, and other sofites. You might be able to get away with select stony corals if placed high in the tank.

Yea I actually already have those I got zoa mushrooms and I did have a xenia but it died before I upgraded the light but I was curious if I could have any others any particular nice ones you'd suggest me try?

Honestly I suggest you try cheap frags you like. If I went only by what the recommendations were based on wpg and stuff like that I wouldn't have half the corals or 90% of the plants I have. Step up slowly. Try some white pompom xenia (aka pink xenia). It is better than the regular type.

After that you may want to try some lower light LPS up close to the light. My favorite is probably frogspawn (a Euphyllia sp.).

Keep in mind that low light may not mean death to some corals. It may just mean that their color decreases. Our skin protects us from UV damage with tan pigments. Corals protect themselves from damage with neon colored pigments. Without the light to need protection, their color will decrease and brown out. So keep an eye out for decreased coloration over a couple weeks after going into the tank. This will indicate that those corals should have more light than what they are getting.

alright im gonnna go pick up that xenia and some frogspawn this weekend and give em a try thank you, ill actually do one this week and the other next week space it out a little bit lol

i really like that frogspawn, do you have any other reccomendations of some more coral i should give a try that you think will do well or are those pretty much it. i also have a coral beauty like described and i know shes not reef safe but would she go after the corals u reccomended?

They are hit and miss. Some coral beauties can't be with anything, others will never bother any coral. Just be prepared to take it out if it proves to not be a reef safe individual.

I would start with those corals and see how they do, especially the frogspawn. While at the LFS see what all they have and if anything stands out to you ask about. Don't take their word for it and buy it then, but at least get a name and come ask us about it.

alright thanks man appreciate it one more ques i do have some zoas in their right now i had them at the top of the tank because the old light wasnt as strong but now that i have the new light should i move them to the bottom of the tank or they are just fine where they are

You may want to move them down, but not necessarily to the bottom. Any coral needs time to adjust to increased lighting. A sudden increase in light can cause bleaching. If you slowly move a coral from the bottom towards the light it will be able to build up the pigment protection it needs for that lighting.

Back
Top Bottom