Will I be OK using a Brass Fitting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koopa_34

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got a question. I bought a brass fitting (because lowes was out of pvc fittings at the time) for my pump so i could pump the saltwater from a trash can to my aquarium with my python hose. Not realizing it, i found out that brass could leak copper into my water. I only had the fitting in the water for about a day in a half. Does anyone think that this is going to be a problem where i would need to start over with new water or should I be safe because I didn't have the fitting in the water for a long period of time? and if i had to start over, is my pump and trash can save to use again. And just so you know i haven't put this water in my aquarium yet.

I'm really thinking you'll be fine for that short period without the brass fitting drying, wetting again, sitting on the shelf, tossed into a bucket for winter storage, then in from the sunlight, into your SW again.

My point is, it wasn't used a whole lot to worry about I think.

Last edited:
You`ll be Ok. I work for a water municipality and all we deal in is with brass. For that short period of time you`ll be Ok.

What if i decide to put invertebrates in my tank. Do you still think i will be ok?

I think you can do inverts.... and replace the brass. It was only a day and a half, so I'd do the inverts but not push it any longer.

Back
Top Bottom