Will sally lightfoot crabs control algea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robertx859

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, i have two tanks, one salt other freshwater. Both have hair algae problems. I went to the LFS today and learned that the sally lightfoot crab is effective in controlling it. One of the guys at the store told me that these crabs are effective in both fresh and saltwater tanks. BTW, my freshwater is 55 gallons and the salt is a 50 gallon hexagon. How many crabs should I put in each tank for effective control. Thanks.

I have never heard of a freshwater lightfoot crab. If you put a saltwater crab in freshwater it will croak instantly. I believe they eat snails(if not well fed) if you have any. Don't quote me on that though.

I'm pretty sure that Sally Lightfoot crabs are saltwater only. They, like all other crabs are opportunistic feeders, they can become an issue in your system. Sally crabs get pretty good sized and I would do a bit more research (somewhere other than your LFS) before buying them.

have you figured out wat is causing the HA problem? I am battling it now due to bad bulbs. I have cut my light time down to about 4 hours a day for the past 5 days and have had a dramatic reduction in the HA. Getting something to eat it will only bandaid the problem. I know there is a checklist on here somewhere for Algea problems. I would take a look at that and focus on finding wat is causing it. JMO

Back
Top Bottom