Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-10-2010, 07:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Will sally lightfoot crabs control algea?

Hello, i have two tanks, one salt other freshwater. Both have hair algae problems. I went to the LFS today and learned that the sally lightfoot crab is effective in controlling it. One of the guys at the store told me that these crabs are effective in both fresh and saltwater tanks. BTW, my freshwater is 55 gallons and the salt is a 50 gallon hexagon. How many crabs should I put in each tank for effective control. Thanks.

robertx859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have never heard of a freshwater lightfoot crab. If you put a saltwater crab in freshwater it will croak instantly. I believe they eat snails(if not well fed) if you have any. Don't quote me on that though.

kdogg85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:22 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
I'm pretty sure that Sally Lightfoot crabs are saltwater only. They, like all other crabs are opportunistic feeders, they can become an issue in your system. Sally crabs get pretty good sized and I would do a bit more research (somewhere other than your LFS) before buying them.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
yep, salt water only. get some mollies for the algae issue in the freshy tank.
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:24 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
have you figured out wat is causing the HA problem? I am battling it now due to bad bulbs. I have cut my light time down to about 4 hours a day for the past 5 days and have had a dramatic reduction in the HA. Getting something to eat it will only bandaid the problem. I know there is a checklist on here somewhere for Algea problems. I would take a look at that and focus on finding wat is causing it. JMO
redneckgearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:53 PM   #6
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I`ve had several of them and they are SW. I thought the appropriate question was asked when you was asked what is causing the nuisance algea. Using livestock for algea is just a bandaid solution. Check out this check list and see if you can identify the fuel factor for your algea.

FantasyReef Databases-Viewing item "10 Step Plan for Nuisance Algae Control"

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

algea, control, crab, crabs, light, sally lightfoot crab

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com