Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-16-2010, 10:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Will snails eat diatoms?

Hello everyone. I just wanted to know if there are any snails that eat diatoms? or brown algae?

Difference between hip-hop and rap?
Rap is simply a word.
jester23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't see a point in looking for any because diatoms are just part of the stages that your tank will go through as it matures. Diatoms "burn out" after a while, usually less than a week from what I have seen, they are there one day and gone the next. My inverts tended to stray from diatoms, but I just had turbo snails and hermits at the time. Hope this helps.

Any questions? Feel free to PM me.
Hitchhikers on live rock? http://www.xtalworld.com/Aquarium/hitchfaq.htm
Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
+1 to the above there is nothing that eats them IME
Nanoreefing site
2 nanos
10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:06 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
my diatoms bloom came and went, but my sandbed was still covered for like a month, I got a diamond watchmen goby to sift through there, he did an awesome job and my tank looked great. Not actually sure if he ate them or not. Anywho, wait it out. They will go away.
Links to old builds:
12DX LED Build
Frag Tank (Fixed Link)
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:32 AM   #5
is back to save the day!

Both my hermits and my snails seem to enjoy diatoms. My two hermit crabs have pretty much plowed through the top of my sandbed and destroyed all the diatoms... And my snails ate almost all the diatoms on both my rock structures. I have two random reef safe hermits and two astreas. If anything, I would say those are the inverts that will eat diatoms since mine did this time, and they did last time.
Zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote

diatom, diatoms, eat, snail, snails

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com