will these work together

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tryin2layadime

Aquarium Advice Regular
snowflake eel, diamond goby and 8 damsels. will that work in a 55 gallon tank. i have the damsels and goby now and im sorta wanting to add the eel.

this is what the tank looks like now.
60142_10150251786100037_756085036_14822863_5633294_n.jpg

Most likely th 8 damsels will greatly overload that tank. Most species get very large (8"+), are extremely aggressive, and eat a lot.

No, I would not add anything to that tank.

i thought i was insane when i read that too austin, thats still a lot for a 55, and im not sure an eel would fit in there comfortably

nvm just checked liveaquaria, minimum = 50G so there you go, im thinking the eel would eat those fish though

If you got a large sump and a good skimmer, you might be able to try it. Eels are a large impact on the bioload due to the fact they are messy eaters. I would consider clearing out some damsels due to the fact that they will get aggressive. It would make your life easier in a lot of areas.

If you got a large sump and a good skimmer, you might be able to try it. Eels are a large impact on the bioload due to the fact they are messy eaters. I would consider clearing out some damsels due to the fact that they will get aggressive. It would make your life easier in a lot of areas.

good info and i have no sump what so ever and i dont have a skimmer either.

They won't all get that big, but many damsels can hit the 6-8" range (some larger). To make it worse many get very ugly at this size, being a drab grey or very washed out.

Never heard of a damsel availible in the ornamental indistry that gets that big. There is still a lot i have not seen though so it is entirly possible.

I would be concerned for the safety of your goby. Snowflakes are generally not considered the most aggressive eels but both eel and goby would be occupying the same area of the tank. I would think it would only be a matter of time before the eel spots and easy meal and tries to take him out. Also, you should consider this will likly put a lot of stress on your goby even if the snowflake is not interested in him at all. It is still a natural preditor and i would make sure you have a tight fitting lid because that goby will probably leap for the sky if (when) he gets spooked by the eel.

Domino 6", blue velvet 6", just to name a couple. Depending on where you look them up the numbers vary. Even if they all only hit 3" that is way too many fish that are way too aggressive in way too small of a tank.

Yea if you only have one area of rockwork, that is a good point. I overlooked that.

I would still consider re-homing the damsels. There is a good chance as they get larger they will start to kill each other.

Domino 6", blue velvet 6", just to name a couple. Depending on where you look them up the numbers vary. Even if they all only hit 3" that is way too many fish that are way too aggressive in way too small of a tank.

You didn't say some species, though, you said most. A few species reaching 6" is a little different than most Damsels reaching 8"+.

You didn't say some species, though, you said most. A few species reaching 6" is a little different than most Damsels reaching 8"+.
That's ok. I learned something new out of it. Didn't know there were any damsels that got that large. Seems like everyone was half right. : )

Yea if you only have one area of rockwork, that is a good point. I overlooked that.

I would still consider re-homing the damsels. There is a good chance as they get larger they will start to kill each other.

i plan to X the damsels all together and get just 2 lionfish and then keep the eel but if the eel is gonna play a part in harassing the goby i wont. i like the goby he is pretty cool. and i redid my rock. not alot but took one and moved it and bought some mushrooms and zoanthid.

34420_10150259907075037_756085036_14995290_2812091_n.jpg

You MAY be able to do yellowtail damsels,but there still have a pretty bold attiude,but avoid Sergeant Major Damsels,3 striped and Domino Damsels especially!

Back
Top Bottom