With a FO SW TAnk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NeoCatsy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Do i really need a protein skimmer to start or can i add it a few months down the road? i need to buy the canister filter, heaters, power heads and i think i'm good

You can get it down the road or not even get one if you dont want to. I know a few that dont use.

If you have more than one filter, or if the one filter you have is strong enough, then i dont see why you would ever need a skimmer, like melosu said. But just out of curiosity, why do you want to go with fish only? You dont like the whole ecosystem that live rock and corals bring into the equation?

I dont want to spend lots of money and have them die. i want to start simple and work my way to more elaborate setups.

I dont want to spend lots of money and have them die. i want to start simple and work my way to more elaborate setups.

If you want, I think you should go with FOWLR, the live rock makes such a difference to FOs. Take some time to think about it. If you do things right and put effort into taking care of your tank and its inhabitants, you really shouldnt have to worry about them dying. Just make sure you do your research first. JMO. Also, I dont have a protein skimmer and I dont think Ill need one because my BioCube comes with chemical, mechanical, and biological filtration along with having all my LR that does 95% of the bio filtration for the tank. That's a major plus in having LR. They are so good in keeping your tank and inhabitants healthy (they will also be happier w/ LR)!!

:cool:

I'm glad you said that. I was talking to the fish guy at my store and he said to use LR as well, he says it comes already cured. He was also talking about live sand, but what i saw was in a bag. cann't be alive if there's no water right? I saw some beautiful black sand I want. I was also wondering do I have to have strict water control with an anemone like you have with coral?

There's a small amount of water in it. I thought the same thing till I touched the bag and the water swirled some of the sand around. There's just enough water in it to keep it wet.

OMG, I saw a banana shark egg. I want it so bad. But, I dont want it to eat my fish. He said they get to be 3 ft long. I imagine that requires awesome water conditions. Still I would love to have one.

Forget water conditions.. sharks get enormous. You will need a MUCH lager tank than 70 gallons, so please for the sake of your tank and that fish, dont impulse buy. Ive seen many a people do some stupid things like keep multiple triggerfish in a 55 gallon reef tank. So terrible. But anyways, i would put some serious thought into live rock. You dont have to take care of it lol.. if your taking care of fish in the tank, then your automatically taking care of the live rock. Requires no extra lighting or feeding. Its self sufficient. Also, as for the anemone.. your going to need strong light. Also, if you plan to get fish and then an anemone, you need to make sure that your fish are compatible with the anemone and vice versa.

Oh, I understand about the shark. That is way down the road. As for the live rock I am considering it. I was wanting to get a couple clowns and the guy said to start with damsels. I said what if i get a couple clowns he said you will need an anemone. I am so confused. Each person i talk to do get clowns , dont get clowns. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!. LOL. I bought the saltwater tanks for dummies book. What would you start out with? Fish wise and invert wise?

Damsels can be mean, if you want a community tank, they may not be the way to go. Clowns don't need an anemone. Anemone's don't need clowns, however, having both just makes them happier. A clown fish won't always host an anemone anyways.

oh ok, so i can start with some clowns. What about inverts?

Oh, I understand about the shark. That is way down the road. As for the live rock I am considering it. I was wanting to get a couple clowns and the guy said to start with damsels. I said what if i get a couple clowns he said you will need an anemone. I am so confused. Each person i talk to do get clowns , dont get clowns. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!. LOL. I bought the saltwater tanks for dummies book. What would you start out with? Fish wise and invert wise?

Well let me just comment on one of your other posts regarding live sand. I wouldnt go with live sand because even though there may be water in with the sand to keep it "wet," it really isnt live sand. Its sitting on a shelf for who knows how long, how could that stagnant water in there keep bacteria alive? Just get some aragonite substrate thats NOT live and it will be live once your tank gets cycled and starts to develop bacteria and other life.

As for the damsels, the LFS is telling you to get them (IMO) because they are hardy fish and hes trying to get your tank cycled. This is not a good way to go in cycling your tank because you are doing so much harrm to these poor fish. You need to get your tank cycled before you can put any form of fish or invert in it. The LR will help cycle the tank and there are tons of articles on the site for fishless cycling. I would definitely go with LR and make sure you get 1-1.5lbs per gallon. It will provide enough biological filtration for the tank. You also have to keep in mind that damsels can be aggressive so like Links said, you need to figure out if you want a community tank - if you do, I wouldnt go with damsels.

Also, clowns dont necessarily need an anemone. Thats definitely not true! If you want to get an anemone down the line thats finne but dont let your LFS tell you that you absolutely need one ebcause you dont. Anemones need a well established tank and great lighting to thrive so make sure you have all that. I would wait to get an anemone for a couple of months, JMO. When you set up your tank with LR and all, make sure to check your params everyday to see if the tank has begun to cycle as you will see spikes of ammonia and nitrites. Make sure to read some articles though on cycling!!

As for inverts. Once you see that the tank is cycled (which will take several weeks or so, you need to start a CUC. Hermits, snails, and shrimp (cleaners probably).

Check out these articles:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/3/1/Cycle-your-salt-tank/Page1.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/6/1/Ammonia-conversion-to-nitrate/Page1.html

Good luck and let us know at what point you are currently at. Dont rush into getting fish!!

You might consider some chromis. The LFS has a 20 year old clown that is in a tank with a pair of them and they get along great. They also have a sixline wrasse in there to but that can be a hit or miss type of fish from what I have read and seen.

Tank raised clowns usually don't host so you really don't have to worry about an anemone.

Cycle your tank and slowly add your fish. Start out with the least aggressive fish first and go from there. It is always a hit or miss type of thing when stocking you might get a fish that is considered peaceful but is really territorial and aggressive. Some fish need a more mature tank so you might have to wait 6 months or so before getting it.

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Blue/Green Reef Chromis

My tank is fully stocked now I was having a hard time deciding but someone was going to get rid of some fish so I took them. Instead of the clown I would have probably gotten a blenny and instead of the chromis I would have gotten a flasher wrasse.

I actually got a blue/green chromis as my first fish (make sure that you get them in odd numbers if you get more than one) and now I have 2 clowns as well and the three of them get along so well!

oh ok , thanks for the advice.

I am at the stage

1 look at empty tank and dream peaceful dreams and " waiting for the ups guy to deliver my heaters and filter. then i have to get sand and LR, and salt. I love waiting. Patience is not one of my virtues

oh ok , thanks for the advice.

I am at the stage

1 look at empty tank and dream peaceful dreams and " waiting for the ups guy to deliver my heaters and filter. then i have to get sand and LR, and salt. I love waiting. Patience is not one of my virtues

i know how it feels, believe me. patience is truly a virtue and i totally do not have it. amazingly though, you develop patience once you get into this hobby!

Back
Top Bottom