Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-02-2009, 01:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

With a FO SW TAnk

Do i really need a protein skimmer to start or can i add it a few months down the road? i need to buy the canister filter, heaters, power heads and i think i'm good

Old 08-02-2009, 02:10 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

You can get it down the road or not even get one if you dont want to. I know a few that dont use.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 06:07 AM   #3
is back to save the day!

If you have more than one filter, or if the one filter you have is strong enough, then i dont see why you would ever need a skimmer, like melosu said. But just out of curiosity, why do you want to go with fish only? You dont like the whole ecosystem that live rock and corals bring into the equation?
Old 08-03-2009, 10:20 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I dont want to spend lots of money and have them die. i want to start simple and work my way to more elaborate setups.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:31 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoCatsy View Post
I dont want to spend lots of money and have them die. i want to start simple and work my way to more elaborate setups.

If you want, I think you should go with FOWLR, the live rock makes such a difference to FOs. Take some time to think about it. If you do things right and put effort into taking care of your tank and its inhabitants, you really shouldnt have to worry about them dying. Just make sure you do your research first. JMO. Also, I dont have a protein skimmer and I dont think Ill need one because my BioCube comes with chemical, mechanical, and biological filtration along with having all my LR that does 95% of the bio filtration for the tank. That's a major plus in having LR. They are so good in keeping your tank and inhabitants healthy (they will also be happier w/ LR)!!

Old 08-03-2009, 04:10 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm glad you said that. I was talking to the fish guy at my store and he said to use LR as well, he says it comes already cured. He was also talking about live sand, but what i saw was in a bag. cann't be alive if there's no water right? I saw some beautiful black sand I want. I was also wondering do I have to have strict water control with an anemone like you have with coral?
Old 08-03-2009, 04:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Flake
There's a small amount of water in it. I thought the same thing till I touched the bag and the water swirled some of the sand around. There's just enough water in it to keep it wet.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:20 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

OMG, I saw a banana shark egg. I want it so bad. But, I dont want it to eat my fish. He said they get to be 3 ft long. I imagine that requires awesome water conditions. Still I would love to have one.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:08 PM   #9
is back to save the day!

Forget water conditions.. sharks get enormous. You will need a MUCH lager tank than 70 gallons, so please for the sake of your tank and that fish, dont impulse buy. Ive seen many a people do some stupid things like keep multiple triggerfish in a 55 gallon reef tank. So terrible. But anyways, i would put some serious thought into live rock. You dont have to take care of it lol.. if your taking care of fish in the tank, then your automatically taking care of the live rock. Requires no extra lighting or feeding. Its self sufficient. Also, as for the anemone.. your going to need strong light. Also, if you plan to get fish and then an anemone, you need to make sure that your fish are compatible with the anemone and vice versa.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:19 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Oh, I understand about the shark. That is way down the road. As for the live rock I am considering it. I was wanting to get a couple clowns and the guy said to start with damsels. I said what if i get a couple clowns he said you will need an anemone. I am so confused. Each person i talk to do get clowns , dont get clowns. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!. LOL. I bought the saltwater tanks for dummies book. What would you start out with? Fish wise and invert wise?

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com