Worried About A New Firefish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettafanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Got a purple firefish today and I'm very worried about him. I acclimated him and as soon as I put him in the tank, he went straight into a cave. Thing is, he still hasn't come out. He looks very tired and very stressed, just resting on the bottom of the cave. I know he isn't dead because my shrimp would've pulled him out and made a meal out of him already if he was.

My question is is this normal behavior for new firefish and will he come out and explore tomorrow? Or should I be worried? I was just asking because my old firefish didn't hide on the first day, she explored and even got a cleaning from the shrimp. I don't know if he'll make it through the night or not. What do you think?

New fish are shy, i have yet to own a fish that didnt hide the day i put him in. Be patient.

Thank goodness. I was very worried. Before this, I was yet to have a new fish that did hide the first day! My old firefish was much spunkier and braver that she didn't hide the first day. He seems so stressed though, I hope he'll be okay by tomorrow. Thank you, that makes me feel much better.

I think that each one has different personalities or behaviors. I have a pair of firefish that I bought from the same tank at the pet store. One comes out several times a day, especially during feeding time. The other one never comes out. I panicked the first couple of weeks thinking it was dead, but everytime I moved my rock, there it was! He or she is just happy to hide all day.

The fish is all settled now. He comes out whenever he think no ones looking. Very true about each fish having different personalities.

Back
Top Bottom