Yay new tank 250 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Only200

Aquarium Advice Regular
M getting a 250gal tank for free but I've never had a saltwater tank this one has a banded catshark lion fish long horned cow fish and some snails and stars like if anyone could give me some advise or info on my new fish can I grow any reef species with these fish and it's kinda bare with only the 3 fish is there anything I can put in with these that won't end up killing eachother. I'm not even sure if these fish are surposed to mix but they have made it for about a year I'll be ordering a ro system tomarro tank comes with sump lights wave maker skimmer uv staralizer sorry this a bit long but I want to make sure this tank stays in good shape and is right thanks

Research, research, and then research some more:) gettin your hands on a 250g sw setup for free is absolutely amazing!! In terms of fish, dont know anything about the shark, but if the lionish is a VOlitan and is full grown( or near), youre gonna have to prob stick wih bigger sized fish, unless you wanna try your luck at an eel:) other than that, just take your time an dont rush anything, youll do quite well that way. Congrats on the tank again

Honestly these aren't fish reccomended for beginners due to their sensitivity. Imo you should try to find a buyer for the livestock and start over because 250 gallons is a lot to work with and could be absolutely amazing if turned into a reef :)

Not trying to give conflicting advice but i went from a 29g fw to a 125 sw and didnt kill a single fish... As long as its taken slowly and patiently, theres no reason its not doable.. Now as in terms of the current stocklist, that may be a bit overwhelming

I don't know they may be tough but if u can keep your levels down and under control wouldn't they stay healthy? Just make sure you test 2times a week and do consists t water changes

Mr. D said:
I don't know they may be tough but if u can keep your levels down and under control wouldn't they stay healthy? Just make sure you test 2times a week and do consists t water changes

Easier said than done

The tank was givin to me with the stipulation that I keep the fish so I don't have the option to restart if I had my choice I would make a reef but I have to work with what I got

I agree the ideal way would be to start over. That cowfish could nuke the whole tank if it gets stressed and dies and I wouldn't put a shark in a 250, as stated he will out grow the tank at some point.

Only200 said:
The tank was givin to me with the stipulation that I keep the fish so I don't have the option to restart if I had my choice I would make a reef but I have to work with what I got

Do what i did, just rehome them to a fitting bew owner, then tell everyone that you had a catastrophe and the tank crashed. Yes its a bot wring but it works

So what's so bad about this fish that makes it do I cant take care of them I'm new to salt but not aquariums I am a man of my word I told my friend that I would take care of this system now dose anyone have any advise that will help out someone that is actually true to there word and not just tell the person well they die and not feel bad about it he chose me cuz he has seen my freshwater tanks and loved them. Now I started this for advise and yes I got some but now I need some that will help me it's been 7 days now my ammonia is just a little high nitrites are good nitrates are good as well I'm doing a water change and I am running a r.o d.i system but the lion and the banded shark have not eaten yet do I need to put them back to live food or stick with frozen how long can they go without food before there's issues I really hope that someone can help me with this thanks

If ammonia is high that's why they sent eating. Ammonia burns the fishes gills. Thus making them not able to eat. You need to immeadiatly do a water change yo dilute the ammonia. Also live food would be a good idea if they still arnt eating.

Thank you very much Im doing a water change now when I get done I'll give it a day or two then check again if it's still hight I'll just keep doing water changes tell its right thanks

Anouther question what type of cleaner crew can I put in with these fish ( lion banded catshark long horned cow)

Back
Top Bottom