Yellow belly blue tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ali-fish

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is he/ she safe around soft corals? Heard that they are not!! Also is he/ she safe with powder blue tang?

Tank size is 125g

========

It is always nice to believe that am a fish too .. For at least an hour each time

Is the powder blue already in there? I wouldn't add the hippo if it is. Two blue acanthurus tangs in a 125 is asking for trouble. Powder blues are mean.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Is the powder blue already in there? I wouldn't add the hippo if it is. Two blue acanthurus tangs in a 125 is asking for trouble. Powder blues are mean.

None of them is here. The LFS is holding the hippo for me now because he or she is one day old in the shop and the fish was not eating. Am also planning to have powder blue tang so I should consider which one I should go with.

========

It is always nice to believe that am a fish too .. For at least an hour each time

The trick with keeping multiple tangs is to keep their body shapes adn colors different.
I had a blue hippo, yellow and tomini in my 125g and they were fine. I still have the same 3 tangs but have added a mustard like tang and upgraded to a 180g. :)
The most recent tang addition does look similar to the tomini but after a day of grief they all settled down. You may not be that lucky. Just some food for thought. Also, it is best to add all the tangs you will be adding at once. Cuts down on the aggression and the fish wont have territories to defend.

The trick with keeping multiple tangs is to keep their body shapes adn colors different.
I had a blue hippo, yellow and tomini in my 125g and they were fine. I still have the same 3 tangs but have added a mustard like tang and upgraded to a 180g. :)
The most recent tang addition does look similar to the tomini but after a day of grief they all settled down. You may not be that lucky. Just some food for thought. Also, it is best to add all the tangs you will be adding at once. Cuts down on the aggression and the fish wont have territories to defend.

This is what am thinking to do if I decided to go with both tangs. ill keep the hippo in my QT for a long time until I buy the powder blue. But still am worried about the corals in my tank. I have some polyps, hammer heads, torch frogspwan, elegance and others. A friend of mine has big reef tanks with hippo and faces no problem at all. However, some say that the hippo might pick on corals.

========

I've had my tangs for a few years and have never ever seen or had to assume they were messing with corals. The only thing my hippo does is pick up frags and hide them. lol Strangest thing I've seen go on in my tanks I swear LOL

I've had my tangs for a few years and have never ever seen or had to assume they were messing with corals. The only thing my hippo does is pick up frags and hide them. lol Strangest thing I've seen go on in my tanks I swear LOL

Sooo cute lol. Thanks for the sharing your experience with us. Once the fish introduced to the tank, ill let you know

========

A powder blue and a blue hippo will fight alot. But if youre dead set get them at the same add them at the same time and try to get two that are as close to the same size as one another as possible. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom