Yellow goby with shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmacc99

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently purchased a yellow watchman goby with shrimp combo. I thought it would be fascinating to see the two digging tunnels and keeping watch. I added the two to my tank a couple of days ago. The last time I saw my shrimp was when I added it to the tank, it was on my live rock...I haven't seen it since. My yellow goby doesn't appear to have moved from his original spot which is under an opening in my live rock. Does it take time for the two to get acclimated to the tank or did I do something wrong? I haven't even seen the goby swim yet, he just seems to be content on the surface of my sand base.

Not really helpful since I dont know much about SW, but freshwater shrimp can be very very hard to find, especially if its a larger tank or the have the same color as the substrate or if they have good places to hide.

The shrimp needs a bit longer acclimation than the goby IMO. How did you acclimate them? I would think that they need a few days to get the process going.

I rarely see my pistol or goby. The pistol is near blind and the goby is the guardian of the entrance.

I acclimated them using the drip process. It took a couple of hours for me to acclimate the both of them. The goby is always visible. I haven't seen him move much, he stays on the sand floor. The shrimp hasn't made an appearance since he was added to the tank. My other fish are doing well and the water is in acceptable parameters. Is it possible that the shrimp could be dead or they will never meet up....Thanks

Could be but give it time. If the goby happened to find a cave that didn't need to be dug out the pistol may already be in there. Seem to remember it took a week or so for mine to buddy up.

All in all my goby and clowns are my favorite fish. Personality galore.

You you hear him snap? You should hear a loud click, every once in a while.

I don't hear him snap. He does have a humorous face, serious looking. I hope he gets used to his surroundings soon. I can't wait to see the show the goby and the shrimp put on.

The snap would come from the Pistol shrimp not the goby. They are nocturnal, or at least mine is. I have never seen it completely out of its burrow.

I haven't seen the pistol shrimp since I put him in the tank a couple of days ago. I guess he must be hiding in a crevice. Hopefully, I will get a look at him soon.

My yellow watchman very rarely travels out of his cave. He is a bottom-dweller and won't be seen swimming around like my clown does. Your shows might be quite limited with the goby. I have to point him out to friends who come over, because he's never in sight...always in the cave. :(
Drop in some Mysis at feeding and watch him emerge to snap one up, but then show's over

I had the exact same concern when I bought my pistol shrimp and orange spotted goby I did not see the pistol shrimp for like 1-2weeks Now I see the pistol shrimp all the time. He shovels sand out from underneath my live rocks like a bulldozer there is now probably 6 passageways underneath my rock work Just give it time as long as your paramaters are good there is no need to worry. here are some photo's not that great of a pic but in the second picture the pistol shrimp is right behind the goby shoveling sand out of the burrow

goby 001.jpg

goby 002.jpg

goby 003.jpg

Last edited:
Does this pistol shrimp usually come out at night, or once its adapted it comes out during the day too? Id like to get a shrimp, is this the best kind to get?

It took a while for my goby and shrimp to get together. They are now best friends and it is definitely an interesting relationship. My yellow goby stands watch as my shrimp digs out the sand. I would strongly suggest buying a pair.

I don't know. I went to my fish store and the person who worked there suggested the pistol shrimp with the yellow watchman goby. It took about a week for them to find each other. Since then, they have been inseparable.

I just went to a SW store today...and I saw a "white and red" Goby who was already paired up with a shrimp, I think it was a banded shrimp?? It was so cool to see they connected already in a petstore.

I was thinking of getting a watchman or a diamond goby with a pistol shrimp but I think if this pair is already together I should buy the pair of them.. didnt really like the price, it was more than I orginally planned for the watchman & pistol, but doesnt really matter.... I just liked the connection they already made.

Back
Top Bottom