Yellow Tail Damsel problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daemetius

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I have 3 yellow tail damsels (1 died long ago as they were 4 in total). As of late I started to notice that two of them had been harassing the third one to the point it would hide behind the filter or never see the light of day and never eat as well for days. I bought standard net box to separate this one from the other two and it seems it works as it's not as stressed as it was.

However this for me is only a temporary solution until something can be done about the other two. I read somewhere that male yellow tail damsels tend to be aggressive towards female when they want to mate. Now I'm just assuming this is what is happening. 2 males trying to see who gets to the female (presuming it is as it's smaller than the other two). However she doesn't seem to like that, so really there's not "mating" happening anytime soon.

Any advice as what can be done?

Thanks in advanced. :fish2:

Damsels are just plain mean. If you look at well established tanks you wont see damsels in there because they are mean. They are OK for starter fish but IMO that is all. What size tank? Maybe we can help with other suggestions.

Damsels are just plain mean. If you look at well established tanks you wont see damsels in there because they are mean. They are OK for starter fish but IMO that is all. What size tank? Maybe we can help with other suggestions.

It's a 46 gallon sw tank.I have:
1 powder blue
2 clown fish
1 that looks like a clown fish but has red wine color skin
1 cardenal fish.
The 3 yellowtail damsels.
3 chromis viridis

Thats alot of fish for a 46 gallon tank. Good Luck with it.

Well I mean most of them are small size. Plus I was told I could add a few more and that's it. But seeing how you state it may look like a lot, now I'm not sure how many fish I can place in the tank. :ermm:

Personally I dont think you could get another one in there. Remember your LFS is trying to make a sale. You might want to think about a bigger tank.

mel shot you straight.
the powder blue has no place in a 46 so if your LFS said it was good take that as 'what they have to say is worth' remark(crap IMO).
Wine colored..3 clowns will not fare well IMO.
The chromis may be fine I can't really say some species are similar to damsel....
Your damsel count will be 1!
One you wish you didn't have IMO.
Get them out if you want nice fish.
Pretty heavily stocked for experienced keeper IMO .

I agree with melosu58,
They are down right nasty little demons no doubt , but the 2 damsels may be males and 1 female and the male are fighting over the female

1 powder blue
2 clown fish
1 that looks like a clown fish but has red wine color skin , Does it look like this guy if so thats a hawk fish

1 cardenal fish.

The 3 yellow tail damsels.

3 chromis viridis

flamehawk5.jpg

the one that looks like a clown fish but has red wine color skin , Does it look like this guy above if so that's a hawk fish

a powder blue 46g is too small for a powder blue tang he would need at-least a 90g or larger

2 clown fish

1 cardinal fish.

The 3 yellow tail damsels.

3 chromis viridis

how the chromis don't get picked on by the damsels is amazing there usually the first to go in the damsels eye, most damsels and chromis don't get along

Back
Top Bottom