Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-14-2013, 07:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Yellow Tang aggression !

I just introduced a beautiful purple tang and a sailfin tang in my 215 Gal tank and immediately, my yellow tang is harrasing the other two tangs. The yellow tang is just slightly larger than both of the newbies. I read that put in a mirror in the tank would help the yellow tang see its reflection and leaves the new purple tang alone. That method helped a little bit, but he still go to other corner where the other tangs are hiding and harrasing.

I also read that remove the yellow tang and put him in another tank for a few weeks. This is almost impossible because my tank is deep and long.

How long would the yellow tang's behavior continue? Any advices?

Lance75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
I can't think of any solutions that don't involve removing the tang to be honest. Seeing as the yellow tang is the oldest, this behavior might not go away.

Rule number one: Always research a fish before you buy it.

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
bettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
yes, i did some reading before get them. many suggest to get odd number of Zebrasomas, so i got both the purple and the sailfin. Although the harrassing is there, both newbies are eating ok.
Lance75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
They will either figure out a pecking order and mellow out or it will be a constant battleground with an eventual loser (or two). Removing the Yelliow and reintroducing is the only possible thing I can think if and there's no guarantee with that either.
TheTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:10 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Try aqua medic fish trap. $50 well spent especially for tank as big as yours. Foster Smith has them.
MarinaClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:35 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Is it possible to re-arrange some rockwork? That might reset the yellow as far as territory so maybe they can all claim their own "new" spots. I've done it and have had success for the most part so I think it;s worth a try.
180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:26 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award
Just be sure the new tangs have a place to escape. Even flower pots work.
Gregcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:23 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Re working the rock work works .
Rmckoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:59 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
I experienced the same issue, had a yellow tang in my tank and introduced a purple. Yellow tang beat the crap outta the purple. Took yellow out for 4 days and reintroduced... problem solved
my 125g Sw...Round 2!http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...220171-33.html
ever see someone cut a 125g in half??
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:04 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I think a lot of people FREAK out the moment they see tank mates going after the new. Don't freak out! You just added them and it's normal for older fish to chase the new fish for a while. As long as you don't see any marks or fins being nipped off they should be fine and things should get to normal.

Just keep an eye out for any real damage, and if in a few days (up to a week) the problem is still persistent or it gets worse than remove the fish you want out. Like many said make sure you move the rock work around, this helps break up territory so new territory needs to be established.

That should help curb the issue, but they will still need to chase one another for a while because now they will be fighting for their own spot. So it's not like it's going to work right away when you move the rocks, but it could. It didn't work right away for my fish, my poor yellow eye tang was harassed for a few days even after I moved the rocks, but eventually my Yellow Tang started to leave it alone and they even swim together now.

Also I am sure you are aware, but just in case! Make sure they have plenty of seaweed to eat! This curbs aggression!

Fish Sticks, the best thing you can do with your dead fish.
baron1282 is offline   Reply With Quote

aggression, tan, tang, yellow, yellow tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com